Water Pool Size

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Water Pool Size

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 pm

I’m upgrading my crabitat from a 20 to 55 gallon shortly and I’m rethinking the size of my water pools. Right now ah have two decent sized lunch meat containers. They’re deep enough but they’re also pretty long. My crabs don’t go into the water very often (it’s rare) but they do hand around the edge to get drinks.

I’d love to down size my pools (but keep the depth). Just thinking is there any downside to this. I’d love to regain some more surface area back in the tank.

Thanks!

Motörcrab

Re: Water Pool Size

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm

We tried all kinds of water pools, deep ones, shallow ones, rectangle, square, round and everything between. Out of all 30 we currently have I have only seen the strawberries actually go swimming. Well I scared a PP a few weeks ago. When he hid in his shell he fell into the water. Aside from that I only saw everyone else sit on the side and and drink.

I have I think 6 cup containers that are about 8" X 5" X4" for the straws, they take up a good bit of real estate but they use them. At least the salt water one.

The other ones we use are square, maybe 5" X 5" X 4". They don't take up as much room but still gives the crab the chance to swim if they ever want to.

We usually find a pretty good selections at the Dollar Tree. A buck for 3 containers and they are BPA free too!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 pm

As long as they have the option to submerge themselves, then width/length doesn't matter... So get what fits the crabs needs!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Smaller pools means they have less of chance of dragging everything into them! LOL!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Thanks everyone! I went with smaller diameter but deep enough pools. They work perfectly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk