What to keep in a lil tank

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
LandFishh

What to keep in a lil tank

Post by LandFishh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:24 pm

So my sister kept a beta fish in a one gallon tank and since it passed she has no use for the tank. I want to keep something a bit cooler in that tank but I'm assuming nothing can really be kept in such a small tank. I also think even a beta shouldn't be kept in such a small tank. What use could I put it to?
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

soilentgringa

Re: What to keep in a lil tank

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:07 pm

LandFishh wrote:So my sister kept a beta fish in a one gallon tank and since it passed she has no use for the tank. I want to keep something a bit cooler in that tank but I'm assuming nothing can really be kept in such a small tank. I also think even a beta shouldn't be kept in such a small tank. What use could I put it to?

Really, nothing, unless you want to keep isopods or another insect/arachnid, and even then I think one gallon is just too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Hmph. I think I'll do an aquarium planter with some sea snails.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 pm

1 gallon is tiny. It could possibly be used as an isolation tank for a crab. Like Soilent said maybe a hissing cockroach. my wife has a Chilean Red Tarantula she keeps in a 5 gallon tank. That seems like about the perfect size for her I couldn't imagine it in anything smaller.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:23 pm

With adequate filtration, very small species of snails (usually considered pests, but still neat little dudes) or shrimp would do well so long as the tank is planted and well maintained.

I had looked at opae ula shrimp for a tiny tank before, but I have crap luck with shrimp so didn't want to make an investment.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 pm

wodesorel wrote:With adequate filtration, very small species of snails (usually considered pests, but still neat little dudes) or shrimp would do well so long as the tank is planted and well maintained.

I had looked at opae ula shrimp for a tiny tank before, but I have crap luck with shrimp so didn't want to make an investment.
I’d prefer shrimp as they are a bit more interesting, but I also understand that a larger tank would make more sense for shrimp. I’ll look into it but I’ll most likely stick with some small snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk