Fogger/dehumidifier with glass with UTH?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
FSkerlak

Fogger/dehumidifier with glass with UTH?

Post by FSkerlak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 am

Hello everyone, just a quick question. Maybe... Lol. So I got a overhead light with a dimmer and for it to 85 degrees in the tank. But now the humidity is in the 55% range. Any ideas? I sealed up the lid pretty good too. I was thinking about a fogger but was afraid with my full back wall of UTHs that the fogger mist may ctmrack the aquarium glass. Is that something to worry about?
Thanks for any advice!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fogger/dehumidifier with glass with UTH?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 am

I had a fogger. Never a problem.

Something to keep in mind, foggers have the potential to flood the tank. So keep a good eye on it to ensure it doesn't happen!

If you haven't already, adding bubblers, moss pit and/or some EE can help increase the humidity.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 am

Great! Thanks for the advice! I just tried looking up bubblers without much luck. Any good name brands that you know of so I can look it up to buy it?
Thanks again

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:37 am

Also, about how much will the humidity rise in a 20 gallon tank with a bubbler and some moss? I already have EE at about 1/5 or 2/5 to playsand. Thanks in advance.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 pm

You can sling together a simple bubbler system for around $20 at Wal Mart. For the bare bones basic you need an aquarium pump ($8), some air line tubing ($6 depending on the length), and an air stone ($2).

The pumps have either one or two air lines out. You can also buy pumps with a built in dial to regulate the air flow ($25 and up). You can also buy inline air regulators so you can adjust the air flow ($4) instead of a fancy pump. If you buy a pump with a single output you can purchase a pack of "T" connection ($3) to split the tubing to both pools.

We used a single air pump with two outputs using the "T" method to supply bubblers to two tanks and four water pools. The hardest part of the set up is figuring out how to run the line/s inside the tank.

I have also heard, but never saw it that if the bubblers are set to high they may actually force moisture out of the tank.

The size of the moss pit and bubblers will be dependant on how much humidity you will get.
Last edited by Motörcrab on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:31 pm

To set up a bubbler you will need a small air pump, tubing that connects to it, preferably a gang valve to change the pressure, and an air stone. Connect the pump to a bit of pipe, the pipe to the valve, another pipe to the output, and then the end of the pipe to your air stone. You will want those little blue or grey air stones to drop in your pools. Links below (It's all on amazon). I don't recommend buying it online, as you don't know how the piping will attach, but perhaps it's the best option. Check it out in a pet store or perhaps a home depot.

I'm not quite sure how much it'll raise your humidity, as it depends on your pressure, how much moss you have, and what you are already doing. Also I don't have a 20 gal. I'd guess that dropping air stones would raise it by ~3-5%? not sure.

Links:
AIR STONES: https://www.amazon.com/Pawfly-Cylinder- ... ones&psc=1

AIR PUMP: https://www.amazon.com/Top-Fin-Air-4000 ... l+air+pump

TUBING: https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Aquari ... WBRNZSKR7V

GANG VALVE: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Stainless ... gang+valve
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:41 pm

You guys are awesome!! Thanks so much for the effort!
Also, Motocrab, I sent you a reply on another topic about what type of video camera you use for your tank? Thanks again!