Humidity at 78 but condensation all over glass?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Does that sound right? I have an Acurite which is what I hear alot of people use so I assume it's accurate. But with all the condensation I'd think the humidity would be higher. I was gonna add a bubbler to increase humidity but now I see all the condensation. I guess what I'm asking is, does condensation mean humidity is really high? Like over 80%?

angelbearpuppy

Re: Humidity at 78 but condensation all over glass?

Post by angelbearpuppy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:54 pm

Never assume that a new hygrometer is giving you an accurate reading until you’ve tested to make sure.

A simple, easy to do at home means of calibrating hygrometers uses standard salt and a sealed container. Table salt, when used properly, will maintain an exact 75% humidity in a perfectly sealed environment. So, to do this, you'll need three items. First, obtain an airtight container such as a see-through tub with a tight fitting snap-on lid (the kind usually found in most kitchens). Alternately, a heavy-duty zip-lock bag will do. Second, you'll need about a teaspoon of salt. Third, any small, shallow open container is needed (to hold the salt in) such as a screw cap from a plastic bottle.

Place the salt in its small container and add a few drops of water to moisten it. Don't dissolve it yet. With just a few drops of water, you'll get what you need, which is damp salt. Next, carefully place the salt in its small container, along with your hygrometer, into the airtight container. Please do not get any moistened salt on the gauge. Also, check to see that the starting point (current reading) is anywhere in the 40% to 80% range.

Seal the container tightly. Note: if you have any doubt as to whether or not it is a perfectly sealed environment, double-it-up by putting it in a second container, or into a second baggie. Do not try to remove the remaining air trapped inside. Now, wait for at least 5 or 6 hours until the environment has stabilized. Do not open the container. Read the gauge's humidity % level. It should be exactly 75%. If it is not, note the deviation as being the amount your hygrometer is out of calibration. If for example, it reads 68%, the gauge is 7% low. If on the other hand it reads 80%, the gauge is 5% high.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Fantastic, I'm gonna set it up now!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 am

Condensation is due to temperature difference between the tank and the room temp. While its a good indication of high humidity, it isn't always the case and needs to be doubled checked with a gauge.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:28 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 am
Condensation is due to temperature difference between the tank and the room temp. While its a good indication of high humidity, it isn't always the case and needs to be doubled checked with a gauge.

This! ^

Dew point and condensation are funny things.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 pm

3 percent low according to the calibration test so it's the opposite of what I thought. I thought I had too much humidity because of the condensation but it's about 74-75%. So it must be the difference in the temp of the tank and the room because we like it cold :( Or the dew point thing but I don't understand that yet lol.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:28 am

The dew point is due to the difference in room/crabitat temperature. A large difference will result in an increased likelihood for condensarion to build up then a smaller difference.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 am

covering up the crabitate with fleece blanket(thin blanket you get from aireplane) might help on condensation temporarily. the whole idea is to minimize temperature difference between outside and inside of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rocknrolla on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

Covering a tank with a blanket can help keep heat in, but won't affect the humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers