Wooden dowels for legs to 2nd level safe?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm

I just put a 2nd level in my 20 gallon because I am quickly running out of room lol. I used wooden dowels from Home Depot for the legs. I was just reading a post on here that they destroy wood, so I was wondering if they are safe. I don't care if they get destroyed, I'll just replace them but if they are treated or something harmful then I'll figure out something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

elly_bananas

Re: Wooden dowels for legs to 2nd level safe?

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm

I dont know the answer, but Id looooove to see whatcha did! :) lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

She thought she could, so she did!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

We use cork that we get in the pet store. We don't take any chances with treated wood. Crabs pick at and eat everything! Wood will warp and splinter with the heat and humidity. Keep crab safety and health in mind. If they wouldn't naturally find it in nature, it shouldn't be in the tank. That's how we judge what goes in our tanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:34 pm

I agree, I like trying to use as much natural as possible, and to try to emulate their environment as closely as possible too.

I will preface this with saying I cannot guarantee 100% any of the products I listed on the post shared below. However, I am continuing to read up on them in regards to crabitats and will learn as much as I can to answer any additional questions. I would like to be able to say there is definitively one good answer but cannot at this time.
Point is, if you really would like to treat a wooden piece to last and not leech and that is non-toxic, check out my response on there. Again, I have not tested, nor do I have a way to test, the accuracy of my responses other than the facts I already know. I only know that these products and options are going to be the ‘most safe’ you will find for that type of thing, to the best of my knowledge.

Wooden 2nd Level Struggles
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:55 am

Consider using PVC piping? It will last a lot better than any natural product, but still very cheap and customizable. (Another option is to use acrylic piping, which can be rather expensive)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FSkerlak

Post by FSkerlak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 am

Id love to add a pic to show you because I can slide it up and down for different heights and even put on another level if wanted. But I have no idea how to a picture on here. Any help? And I'll look into the PVC thank you!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:31 am

Oooh I like the sound of that! I’d also love to see a picture if you can get that sorted. I use the app, and pics are super easy with it, assuming they’re on my phone. Hopefully someone else can walk you thru the process on the computer, cause I’m really interested in how you did that- it sounds awesome- thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:31 am

FSkerlak wrote:Id love to add a pic to show you because I can slide it up and down for different heights and even put on another level if wanted. But I have no idea how to a picture on here. Any help? And I'll look into the PVC thank you!
If you download Tapatalk you can add photos real easy!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

She thought she could, so she did!