Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
mlakers

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by mlakers » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Jamison wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:55 pm
Just wondering, what sizs tank are they in?
My adult crabs are in a 120-tall, but the babies are currently all in a ten gallon. They would get lost in anything larger. As they grow I'll probably spread them over two tanks (or more, depending on how fast they grow), but for right now they seem to really enjoy being in close quarters and congregating in big baby crab dogpiles.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Oh that’s wonderful! Thank you for letting me know, I will head over that way soon! I only had a few minutes the other day, so I didn’t get to look but for a minute! How fun is that, having adoption days? Love it. I can’t blame you one little bit wanting (and needing!) to screen and not ship- you’ve got way too much time and effort and LOVE in these lil babies!!! I think it’s so incredible what you are doing and have done. Truly.
I can only hope that I will have such happy and healthy crabs one day. I am positive all of your hard work will make a huge difference in how we go forward in the crabbing industry. I can only hope it does, but I do think it will make a difference to have the knowledge and ability for some to breed them moving forward. At least we know there won’t ever be ‘crab-farms’ like the puppy-farms... too much work involved for it to be worth it to anyone except the most dedicated. And that you most certainly have in heaps!! Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm

I had previously been watching your blog site for updates and news about the babies, this is wonderful to hear how far you have gotten with the breeding project, wishing you good luck and a fruitful success!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:43 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 pm
Oh that’s wonderful! Thank you for letting me know, I will head over that way soon! I only had a few minutes the other day, so I didn’t get to look but for a minute! How fun is that, having adoption days? Love it. I can’t blame you one little bit wanting (and needing!) to screen and not ship- you’ve got way too much time and effort and LOVE in these lil babies!!! I think it’s so incredible what you are doing and have done. Truly. Image
I can only hope that I will have such happy and healthy crabs one day. I am positive all of your hard work will make a huge difference in how we go forward in the crabbing industry. I can only hope it does, but I do think it will make a difference to have the knowledge and ability for some to breed them moving forward. At least we know there won’t ever be ‘crab-farms’ like the puppy-farms... too much work involved for it to be worth it to anyone except the most dedicated. And that you most certainly have in heaps!! Thank you again!

I truly hope we do have crab farms some day. The way we rip these animals out of the wild by the thousands is extremely destructive.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Yes. It would be so much better- if we continue to keep them in captivity- and if we can breed instead. I feel guilty on some small level for supporting the industry by buying my crabs from it, but conversely I know if it wasn’t me then it would be someone and I at least know these little ones are going to have a good home, and hopefully a happy and healthy lifetime with me!

I’m having so much fun planning for the next years.... maybe almost as much fun as the building is gonna be!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 pm

Yeah i was at the pet store today for hermie supplies and they had crabs. It looked like the conditions weren’t actually completely inappropriate for once which was heartening. I saw a really little crabby in there and was so tempted. I really want a little one bc all of my crabs are big, but Im pretty resolved to only adopt. It’s not easy tho when u see them at the store and just want to bring them home!

Although, maybe I’ll end up with one or two captive bred crabs from mlakers ...

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 am

That is my dream too- I do hope I am able to get one or two! I will make them their own crabitat to start out, I am saving my other 10 gal for the temporary housing of them (if I am approved) for while they are small, and depending on the breed go from there! Crabbing is definitely an addiction, and I don’t want a cure!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 am

Haha srsly, when people see my crabby pantry they can’t believe it. I’ve probably spent a few hundred dollars on food supplies for them and found myself at the pet store today picking up various freeze dried whatever’s and being like, I have around 10 different kinds of meat foods for these crabs, that’s ENOUGH variety!

Of course I left the store with three more pantry additions anyways but that’s the crab life I guess :crabbigsmile:

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:17 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Haha srsly, when people see my crabby pantry they can’t believe it. I’ve probably spent a few hundred dollars on food supplies for them and found myself at the pet store today picking up various freeze dried whatever’s and being like, I have around 10 different kinds of meat foods for these crabs, that’s ENOUGH variety!

Of course I left the store with three more pantry additions anyways but that’s the crab life I guess :crabbigsmile:
I am in the same boat. At least one or two items end up in my shopping cart every week when I go shopping for people food. And I am like......oooo lets pick up this for them. Despite having stuff at home alread to interchange. And going to the pet store is just as bad. (Goes in.....jist need fish tank filter. Comes out with filter, blood worms, other freeze dried treats, and a new decoration. )If I was a person to shop online it would be worse

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:14 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 am
Haha srsly, when people see my crabby pantry they can’t believe it. I’ve probably spent a few hundred dollars on food supplies for them and found myself at the pet store today picking up various freeze dried whatever’s and being like, I have around 10 different kinds of meat foods for these crabs, that’s ENOUGH variety!

Wow, wondering what that would look like! I have been researching different diverse food choices that range all over the food pyramid for almost two years now. My pantry and kitchen have become nearly overrun with crab food from the past and present.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:04 am

We are bad when it comes to foods as well. My wife did a tally of all our different food types a month or so ago and have over 100 different things covering their entire food pyramid! Since then we picked up a few more. It usually starts off as running out of one or two items then we want to restock. Due to shipping we feel it is a bit much to pay more on shipping than the two or three items. Then we end up with 6-10 new items instead!

Back in December I placed an order for bulk cholla wood, a huge color boosting variety pack. I think it was 25 different items. I also ordered a round 10-12 random foods too. The order was around $150 with shipping. Because of it being a large order they upgraded all of our food selections to the 4 oz containers sizes! They basically doubled the quantity of most of the items for free! That was awesome, especially since we pretty much doubled our herd in January.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:07 am

mlakers wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm
I am planning an adoption weekend this summer in Lockport, N.Y., pick up only. It's going to be July 13th and 14th. There's a link on my website (blog page) for the adoption form to get approved. I'm not handling the adoption approval process (just too much for me to take on in addition to everything else), but I do have some reliable, long-time crab owners doing it for me. :)
I got an email today stating that I've been approved! We are super excited! Over the next few months, we will be building a special tank for these babies! We couldn't be happier! Its a privilege to be able to care for these adorable little crabbies! We can't wait to give them a new forever home!
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:52 am

Xenocrab wrote: I got an email today stating that I've been approved! We are super excited! Over the next few months, we will be building a special tank for these babies! We couldn't be happier! Its a privilege to be able to care for these adorable little crabbies! We can't wait to give them a new forever home!
Congrats! Super exciting! They will definitely have a good home with you! Image

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Overmountain1

Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:10 am

Congrats! I couldn’t think of many more deserving crabby people I know! (no offense to anyone else, I just haven’t gotten to know you quite as much yet!)
How awesome that will be though- I bet you’re both super excited. Such special (and lucky) little babies they are. Congrats, you two! I’d have definitely done a happy dance lol.

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 pm

I'm starting to get ridiculously excited about the adoption weekend! :banana:

And I'm already looking forward to that special feeling of pride and accomplishments when I get to see pictures of these babies living in their new forever homes. I've been working on making a bunch of tiny clay items for the travel tats and samples of their favorite foods to go home with them. We've got a shell dealer coming to our marketplace (with shells for both adult and baby crabs), and three or four other sellers, too. Also guest speakers who will be giving slideshow talks on: breeding (that's my talk), vertical tank builds, species ID, creating a bioactive setup, and a 12-year-old is going to give a talk about getting kids involved in hermit crab care. I'm going to have an Open House on Saturday evening so people can see my breeding setup and main tank (I expect to be gearing up for another summer breeding by then) and the conference hotel has been really helpful. I think a bunch of the attendees are also planning a trip to view Niagara Falls and cross off a bucket-list item. Anyway, no charge to attend, and no need to adopt, but you could see the babies and fall in love. My goodness they make my heart squinch every single day. :cloud9: