Sourcing live hermit crabs?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Kitkat7

Sourcing live hermit crabs?

Post by Kitkat7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:51 pm

I recently lost one of my hermit crabs of ten years, and now just have my PP Calypso left (who I've also had for ten years). I will wait a few weeks just to make sure Calypso is completely healthy, but then I would like to get Calypso a new friend or two. Calypso lives in a 40g tank so they will all have plenty of space. I live in Myrtle Beach and there are lots of sketchy beach shops selling hermit crabs, but I would prefer to buy from someone who is knowledgable and humane with their crabbies.

Question #1 Where should I get my new crab/s? Online? Petsmart or PetCo? I'd really appreciate your recommendations.

Question #2 My last two crabs were similar in size but I've read that it's better to have crabs of varied sizes, so they are less likely to fight over shells. Calypso is medium/large. What size do you recommend for the new crab/s?

Question #3 How long should I quarantine the new crab/s before I place them in the big tank with Calypso?

Thanks!

AwesomeHermit

Re: Sourcing live hermit crabs?

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Personally, I would adopt, but if you have to get them at a shop I would recommend which ever keeps better care of their crabs.

I have mixed opinions on this, because my smallest was killed while molting but I also had crabs of a similar size have shell fights (only happened once or twice).

some people choose to put their new crabs right in their main tank, and that’s what I do. I always put them in my fresh water bowl so they smell normal to my other crabs
3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I prefer crabs of different sizes. I find less issues with aggression as there's usually a hierarchy - following biggest to smallest - which keeps everyone happy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:47 am

I adopted my most recent crabs, and recommend it completely over going to a pet store to buy a crab, although sometimes you have to. My crabs also range from all sizes, but they are mostly medium to large crabs, while my exotics are smaller.

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:10 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Personally, I would adopt, but if you have to get them at a shop I would recommend which ever keeps better care of their crabs.

I have mixed opinions on this, because my smallest was killed while molting but I also had crabs of a similar size have shell fights (only happened once or twice).

some people choose to put their new crabs right in their main tank, and that’s what I do. I always put them in my fresh water bowl so they smell normal to my other crabs
Thanks. I'm actually in talks with someone about possibly adopting a crab once it goes through a successful molt, so we'll see with that. Otherwise I'll do my best to find a shop with crabs that aren't in decorative shells and who seem to be well cared for.

Yeah I've heard that if crabs are too different in size the larger crab may prey upon the wee crab. But I've also had issues with shell fights, although that seemed to improve once they were placed into a larger tank with more empty shells.

Thanks for the feedback!

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:10 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks. I'm actually in talks with someone about possibly adopting a crab once it goes through a successful molt, so we'll see with that. Otherwise I'll do my best to find a shop with crabs that aren't in decorative shells and who seem to be well cared for.

Yeah I've heard that if crabs are too different in size the larger crab may prey upon the wee crab. But I've also had issues with shell fights, although that seemed to improve once they were placed into a larger tank with more empty shells.

Thanks for the feedback!

Topic author
Kitkat7

Post by Kitkat7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 pm
I prefer crabs of different sizes. I find less issues with aggression as there's usually a hierarchy - following biggest to smallest - which keeps everyone happy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cool. Yeah I think it would be fun to have varied sizes, too, as they may have different activity levels and be able to utilize different hides and stuff.