Crabs Not Moving

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

Crabs Not Moving

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:27 pm

I have 2 hermit crabs I got a little over a month ago. For the most part they were doing ok, moving around, eating, the usual. For about the past week, both have been hiding in their shells in the same spot of the tank. They dont seem to move, but I do know they are alive. I've tried moving them to another spot in their tank, near their food or under the heat lamp, but they move back to the spot they were in before I moved them. Should I be concerned about this behaviour?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabs Not Moving

Post by curlysister » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Hard to say whether there is something wrong or not. Perhaps if you fill in the Emergency Template, we could help trouble shoot. Just copy and paste into a new reply to give your answers.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 am

I know it's tempting to move your crabs when they seem to stay in one spot but that only stresses them out. Fill out the template mentioned above.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
-Hermit Soil from Zoo Med. One side of the tank is an inch and it slopes down to half an inch on the other side.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
-No gauges

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
-Heating lamps at the top of the tank. One blue light for day time and a red one for night.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
-Fresh and salt water are provided, both Active Hermit brand.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
-Zoo Med Hermit Crab Food, Zoo Med Herit Crab Fruit Salad (Ive seen them eat this). Both are replaced every other day.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
-Ive had both crabs since January 5, 2019 and I believe both are purple pinchers

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
-Neither have molted.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
-Zoo Med 10 Gallon ReptiHabitat Hermit Crab Kit. The lid is a sliding top netting.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
-2 crabs, which were kept in the same tank at the pet store, each can fit in the palm of my hand and the openings to their shells are less than an inch.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
-11 extra shells are in the tank of varying sizes.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
-Not that I know of.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
-I havent cleaned the tank yet since Ive only had them for a month.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
-A sponge that came with the kit is kept in the freshwater dish. I have not cleaned it.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
-No.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Your crabs tank needs improvements, they may not be moving around because they are not in proper conditions.

Please go to the Care Sheets section and read through the information there:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... .php?f=120

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
-Hermit Soil from Zoo Med. One side of the tank is an inch and it slopes down to half an inch on the other side.
Curly - Your substrate needs to be at least 6 inches deep, or three times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. It needs to be moist enough to hold it's shape but not so wet that water pools. I believe Zoo Med Hermit Soil is Eco Earth (coconut fiber). Most of us mix this with play sand (ratio 1 part EE to 5 parts sand), which works well to hold moisture and shape.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
-No gauges
Curly - you need to get a guage with thermometer and hygrometer. Digital are more accurate than analog.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
-Heating lamps at the top of the tank. One blue light for day time and a red one for night.
Curly - Under tank heaters are recommended (they go on the back or side, not under the tank).

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
-Fresh and salt water are provided, both Active Hermit brand.
Curly - you need to use tap water with a conditioner such as Prime. And then a marine salt such as Instant Ocean to treat the salt water. Pre-mixes like what you have are not suitable.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
-Zoo Med Hermit Crab Food, Zoo Med Herit Crab Fruit Salad (Ive seen them eat this). Both are replaced every other day.
Curly - commercial foods are not safe. Be sure to read through the Food section for info on proper nutrition and the food pyramid.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=25

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
-Ive had both crabs since January 5, 2019 and I believe both are purple pinchers

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
-Neither have molted.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
-Zoo Med 10 Gallon ReptiHabitat Hermit Crab Kit. The lid is a sliding top netting.
Curly - you need to have the lid covered with saran wrap to hold in the humidity. In which case you then can not use a lamp for heat.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
-2 crabs, which were kept in the same tank at the pet store, each can fit in the palm of my hand and the openings to their shells are less than an inch.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
-11 extra shells are in the tank of varying sizes.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
-Not that I know of.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
-I havent cleaned the tank yet since Ive only had them for a month.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
-A sponge that came with the kit is kept in the freshwater dish. I have not cleaned it.
Curly - sponges are not needed and only harbor bacteria, throw it out.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
-No.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LeonardoDaPinchi

Post by LeonardoDaPinchi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Do you have a specific heater that you recommend? The reason I chose a lamp was cause I couldn't find a heater with good reviews.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:43 pm

LeonardoDaPinchi wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm
Do you have a specific heater that you recommend? The reason I chose a lamp was cause I couldn't find a heater with good reviews.
Ultratherm from beanfarm.com and reptilebasics.com. Get a size that fits the entire back from the top of the substrate 6" deep) to top of tank. These can also be insulated. Heat lamps dry out the humidity. You can also seal the lid with plexiglass taped down. The entire lid can be sealed. The water bowls need to be deep enough for them to fully submerge with a safe way in/out. You may find out that a 10 gal tank fills up pretty fast. You may be able to find a larger tank for a good deal on craigslist, or the apps Offerup and Letgo. Also check out the shell guide on here. Each type of crab prefer certain types of shells.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Since you have no gauges how do you know the humidity? Do you spray the tank occasionally? You should not have a heat lamp on overnight, get a UTH to put on the side. Heat lamps will burn up your humidity unless you spray it enough.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D