Crab possibly dying, what to do?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Crab possibly dying, what to do?

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:49 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coconut fiber substrate mixed with playsand. It is about 6 inches deep. Sand castle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
We have both. Temperature during day is around 80 and humidity around 80. During night temps drop to 70/75.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
3 UTHs that cover the back of the tank and one on the side.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh (with conditioner) and salt water (conditioned and marine salt)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
A variety of proteins (freeze dried mealworms, crickets, bloodworms, etc.), Zilla omnivore mix, eggshell, fresh fruits/vegs (changes), quinoa, cuttlebone, olive oil, and honey. Replaced daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 weeks and 2 PPs

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I don't know. They haven't molted while in my care.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon tank with plexiglass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, one middle guy and another micro/teeny one

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
8 shells

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean every few days

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Moss is new

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Yesterday I had to move one of my crabs (Das Krabbe) to change the water, he was on the ramp. I picked him up as a put him down I thought I didn't put him down softly enough. So I picked him up again to check on him. He was fine so I put him back down. I think I stressed him out! This morning he is just standing in the tank but not moving at all. When I left my classroom last night he was curled up in his shell sleeping. So He propped up at some point. He doesn't flinch or anything. His eyes are glazed over and his antenna aren't moving. But he is in his shell. He isn't limp but stiff and has himself propped up on his legs like he is going to move. THERE IS NO SMELL. So not died but dying. What do I do. He is near my honey now. Please help!

Thanks for any help with this situation or any advice.

ciaraalston

Re: Crab possibly dying, what to do?

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am

Your conditions sound right, and they're both new crabs. Mine didn't move much at all the first year I had them. They stayed in the coconut or on one spot on the back wall for weeks at a time. Crabs are weird. I wouldn't worry too much, maybe he just found a spot he likes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 am

Thank you! But to clarify. I know they don't move a ton especially during the day. But I mean his body doesn't move like he doesn't flinch even if I gently tap his shell. When I pick him up he isn't moving either. He stays in his shell but no body movement at all.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:00 am

teachincrabbie wrote:Thank you! But to clarify. I know they don't move a ton especially during the day. But I mean his body doesn't move like he doesn't flinch even if I gently tap his shell. When I pick him up he isn't moving either. He stays in his shell but no body movement at all.
Yeah, my PPs are that way. They can be still as a statue sometimes! I try not to mess with them unless I absolutely have to. I used to take them out for pics to keep up with their growth but now I try to stay hands off unless nessesary. They freak out too much lol

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:30 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:00 am
Yeah, my PPs are that way. They can be still as a statue sometimes! I try not to mess with them unless I absolutely have to. I used to take them out for pics to keep up with their growth but now I try to stay hands off unless nessesary. They freak out too much lol

Thank you! I hope that is the case. But thank you, that is a comfort.

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:52 am

Mine act like that as well some times. As long as there is no death smell I would try not to worry to much. Just keep doing what you are doing

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:37 am

Thank you for all your help! Das Krabbe died this morning. He was a good crab and before this seemed fine (moving around, eating, etc.). But there was a very clear smell. Thanos is alone on but seems fine. Thanks again!

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:03 pm

I am sorry for you loss.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm so sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi