Hello All! Lifelong Crab Lover, New Here

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Kt Kat

Hello All! Lifelong Crab Lover, New Here

Post by Kt Kat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Like many others, I got my first hermits when I was a kid on a beach trip. They actually came with a pretty good caresheet for the 90s... But we were poor and did not provide for them as we should have, and they lived in a gravelly critter keeper on only a prayer.

Regardless we had a couple successful surface molts while others didn't make it. Eventually my little sister lost the remaining two while playing which was sad and I did not have the means to start again, though I have always loved crabs!

2 decades later my sister wins a large beautiful hermit crab at a white elephant exchange and I helped her set up a 10 gal using all the wonderful resources here and elsewhere online. My family was dubious when the crab disappeared underground but I told them it was a good thing and lo and behold the crab, named Harry, survived his first molt!

Of course, my sister has a busy life so Harry ended up in my hands before long. It's been about 2 years. I got an old sump tank (55 gal) and with lots of elbow grease turned it into a respectable 'tat this last fall. Harry needed friends, so I got two large mediums from a good LPS, and rescued two smaller mediums from Petco. This weekend I rescued two smalls from a beach shop and I think I'm at my limit now.

On to the part everyone is waiting for, the pictures! If you've read my whole story, thank you and I'm happy to be here!

In order:
Harry
Peanut
Chester
Frisky
Cheyenne
Scooter
SparkyImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Hello All! Lifelong Crab Lover, New Here

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:17 pm

Great journey! Beautiful crabs.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm

I love sparky's shell! How old do you think sparky is? however old he (or she) is, my crabs must be about that age.
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Topic author
Kt Kat

Post by Kt Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:09 am

CrabMommaChara wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm
I love sparky's shell! How old do you think sparky is? however old he (or she) is, my crabs must be about that age.
Sparky(at the bottom) is my next-to-littlest, classified "Small" They have got to be at least a few years old. They actually changed into a natural green shell and burrowed right away, a day after the photo.

Meanwhile Harry, who is a Large, must be somewhere in his teens. :wow::

It makes me sad that hermit crabs are seen as throwaway pets by the general populace when oftentimes they are older than the children they are being bought for! Especially after seeing the breeding attempts that some keepers have made and knowing the odds these little crabs have to beat to even get to "small" size!

But yeah there's this great thread theorizing about crab ages here:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=76487

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:46 am

Thank you! I looked everywhere for that thread, just couldn't find it! Give little sparky my compliments XD
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Yeah it always saddens me to. They are such unique creatures, and deserve care and respect just like any other creature out there.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:23 pm

Welcome to the board and back to the addiction! The crabs look well, and sounds like you have everything you need.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:00 am

Awesome! I am very glad to see how far you’ve gotten, very cute crabbies! :)
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
Kt Kat

Post by Kt Kat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Thank you all! My crabs live their best lives because of all the info gathered here :)