Naked Prince

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Overmountain1

Naked Prince

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Ok so as funny as the title is, it’s decidedly not funny to have a naked crab, which is where I’m at. I can’t say that I need to fill it out but to be sure I didn’t miss anything....

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? EE/playsand, sandcastle consistency

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, mid-high on the side, temp is a little low as I wait on my other heaters, more on that in next ? tho. 75+/- a couple degrees, 75-80% humidity, and I mist them as necc to keep it up.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, one UTH (on the back, insulated), tho it isn’t enough for their current home, and I know this. They currently like to camp our near the back and that’s ok with me for now- it’s at least 80 in the very back, I did check that to be sure. I know it’s on the lower side, and I’ve been keeping a space heater in the room to try to keep it somewhat warmer in there until I can add the other UTH to both. They were supposed to be delivered on Monday, so will see.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt; fresh is the IO dechlorinator, and waiting for the right stuff now to mix IO saltwater (Ordered wrong.) I had been using ZooMed’s water stuff for both but saw the salt water has yellow dye in it- why?! (And, this was simply until I got IO, til I saw the dye.) Anyway, yes I ordered IO, but have had to use the hermit crab bottled salt water as a temporary filler til it arrives.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Organic all around so far, nothing is ever in there longer than 2 days. Seeds, bugs, Various proteins and fresh veggies, fresh meats- I had just offered them some raw beef 2 days ago- one tank chowed down but these guys didn’t even touch it. I offered raw and cooked actually, they left it all. I was a little surprised but not really at the same time.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? PP, just one week

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Nope

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They’re currently in a tote, til I can get the new tank up, maybe another 2 weeks total.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 in his. Both are larger than this lil guy, but he’s not tiny. I have never seen any aggression from the other two, and he appears ‘whole’ at least.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
There are currently 11; 5 of these should be within this ones range.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean almost daily, depends how big of a party they have.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Climbing net, soaked in saltwater overnight and then baked. (A little too much, hubby almost caught it on fire lol.)

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Not really- can’t think of a thing.
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Since I brought these ones home, at least two seem to be suffering from PPS; I haven’t seen Dumbo or Prince near the food or water (though I made sure they know where they are jic, earlier.)
I honestly didn’t think Prince was suffering PPS bc he’s been more active, at least I usually spotted him in differing places.
Yesterday when I got home from the grocery store, about 8, and got all that done and went to feed the crabs some new goodies, I found Prince naked in the moss pit. The moss pit is a smaller plastic container, so I simply took it- and him in it- out. I have tried getting him back into a shell, the best that we have gotten is his little bottom resting in the shell opening and he is basically stretched across the shell. I have offered some peanut butter and honey, with crab exo stuck to one side of the blob. (On a qtip.) not even antennae interest was shown. I honestly can’t figure it out, other than simply PPS.
Now- I do have an iso tank, but I had to steal the heater for the other tank so I’ll have to run out for another one... Should I lay him directly on the substrate or leave the poor buddy in the moss where he wants to be? I’m worried about him drying out of course. He really shows very little interest in anything and seems to have given up. I’m preparing to let him go, but I haven’t given up yet. I knew this was a possibility with getting store crabs, and that I may lose some of them eventually... I just hate seeing him so pitiful!

Dave the Wondercrab~ Patpat the Scaredy Cat~*Prince~ MaggieMoo- Dumbo~ Billy

angelbearpuppy

Re: Naked Prince

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:33 pm

When I have had a naked crab one time. I placed him in a little container with a moist paper towel and several shells and made it dark with in a few minutes he reshelled on his own. I know there is a way to manually reshell but I am insure how

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
Overmountain1

Naked Prince

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, and I think a lot of people use a spoon to pick them up...

Sadly Prince has already died. I’m 99% sure anyway. I can’t get s single movement or reaction from him now, and he is more pale looking than he was.
Edit- yeah, she gave up. Poor little GIRL.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm so sorry.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Thank you. They’re so pitiful when they do that... I can’t say I’m totally surprised I lost one, as they are Petsmart crabbies. I’m just hoping and praying the other 3 pull through.
I’m doing all I can for them and that is the best I can do. At least I know she had a comfortable last week. (I checked, and turns out she was female, although I keep saying he out of habit.) There were plenty of shell options but she never did swap. I tried rinsing in saltwater and everything, she just wasn’t a happy crabbie... if only I could speak crab!

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:32 am

I think we all feel likenthat sometines

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom