Loves the Hygrometer?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Loves the Hygrometer?

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I have noticed no matter where I move the hygrometer (I’ve been checking out different areas just to be sure....) Dave follows. He fell off the top of the log hanging onto it last night, so I put it in the fake foliage in the corner thinking he’d surely leave it alone... nope! First task of his evening today! Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing or is it just a simple interest in a random item? Thoughts? ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Loves the Hygrometer?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Maybe he's just ensuring that the humidity is up to par? ;)

Regardless, I wouldn't worry to much about it, as long as you're covering the basics and everything is how it should be, I wouldn't worry.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Mostly I was amused, but that type of thing always makes me wonder what they DO actually sense coming from that type of thing, whether a slight magnetic pull or some small noise that we can’t hear- far fetched perhaps, but we learn something new every day! I just laughed and said he finally made a friend since Patrick won’t come out and keep him company! Ha!

Thanks!
I was curious if anyone else’s had shown a particular interest or not, or if just more silly crab stuff..... def silly crab stuff.
I need to get new double sided tape, so can fix it to the side of the tank again. Problem solved.

Cheers everybody! Thanks for the welcomes to the HCA, and thanks to the oldies for all the amazing info you’ve gathered! Have a crabby weekend!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Some of our guys decided to climb and hold onto the command hooks inside their tanks. They climbed on and just hung out for a few hours! Maybe they were having a contest of who could stay on the longest.
ImageImage
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Overmountain1

Loves the Hygrometer?

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 pm

ImageImage Crazy crazy crabs. Image
I wish I could find some near me to either adopt or, well, I hate to straight up buy but I am NOT having any luck finding any to adopt anywhere even semi-local. I call that a 4 hour drive, so I mean, wow! I have seen one for adoption/purchase in local classifieds in 2 months.
I just want another couple, but I may wait and get some Es instead? Ah, either way, I’d do both if I could! I’m rambling. Sorry. As I mentioned to someone else, I’ve been sick for a week with no voice. You have all become my unintended release valve apparently! Image

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/featur ... of-hermits

Hey, this is probably shared somewhere else, but this was a fun read about shell fighting and crabs socializing etc.

Edit; and by fun I also mean extremely informative!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:26 pm

We have done pretty well with adoptions on here, word of mouth from co workers, and finding listings on Craig's List. It may also help to add your own listing under Local Adopters. We have had several hits just from our add alone. We didn't hear much for a long time then I found an add on Craigs List for two. My wife wore her lucky crabby hat and all heck broke loose! Later that night I received an email about 4-5 crabs, then got a response about 4 more we inquired about a few days before that. As we started planning our trip to get those crabs another add popped up near the one of the other adoptions. After a ton of emails back and forth between everyone we did one large trip to adopt 11 crabs from 3 people. The first stop was about a 3 hour drive, then the last stop was on our way home. It was a fun all day crabventure! A week or two later a local add popped up with someone looking to rehome a Strawberry and a few Purple!

We have had a lot better luck with rescues compared to ones we bought in stores. I think most crabs in stores are in rough shape and it is impossible to tell until after you get them home and monitor them for several days/weeks. I believe since rescues have been somewhat cared and have gotten through the transition from the wild to captivity they have most of the destressing issues behind them.

Here's our Crazy Crabby Caravan Caper for all the rescues:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 8&t=119140

This is where you will want to post your add for adopting:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... .php?f=113

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks! What an awesome thing you did there! Those jumbos- wow. I assumed that was the case when you said the living situation had changed for them- bc nobody gets them to that large size and has them for that long without truly caring for them in both senses. Sad she had to let them go I’m sure! Wow the extras- very generous. They all look happy and healthy! I really do want some Es, but that will be even more challenging to find if I can’t find so much as a single PP!! Lol it’ll sort itself.

I hope I can find a few before too long. We ARE in a fairly rural area, but maybe something will work out sooner rather than later. I posted in the TN section and the VA section last night, bc we live at the border of them, and close to NC too! And I’m willing to drive more than some.

At any rate... thank you for all your help! Thanks!

Topic author
Overmountain1

Loves the Hygrometer?

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 am

Ha- Dave finally has a ‘real’ friend to play with again- yay! Pat has been under for at least a week, by all appearances anyway. He’s a shy and quiet type. I’m hoping as he gets bigger and more comfortable in general he won’t stay hidden ‘quite’ as much. Anyway- Dave keeps following him around. Very cute. Sort it’s a bit dark, I didn’t wanna spook them. Mostly Pat.
You can just see Pat popping out from the far side of the moss put with Dave waiting on him! I can’t get Pat to change shells just yet so he’s stuck in a painted still- grrrr. Soon enough he will let it go and I’ll steal it! The google eye on top is a little funny....

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:27 pm

mine ripped it off and started banging it against the wall... at night! i just couldnt sleep! :D
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 pm

Hahahaha that is so funny... they’re crazy!

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:01 pm

I cover mine gauges in crafting mesh and attach a piece so I can hang them just about about anywhere using a suction cup. That way they can climb on them and not constantly fill them with sand. It turns the gauge into a multi-purpose tool! You can keep track of temperature and humidity and the crabs can climb all over it too!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 9&t=118870

hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm
Thanks! What an awesome thing you did there! Those jumbos- wow. I assumed that was the case when you said the living situation had changed for them- bc nobody gets them to that large size and has them for that long without truly caring for them in both senses. Sad she had to let them go I’m sure! Wow the extras- very generous. They all look happy and healthy! I really do want some Es, but that will be even more challenging to find if I can’t find so much as a single PP!! Lol it’ll sort itself.

I hope I can find a few before too long. We ARE in a fairly rural area, but maybe something will work out sooner rather than later. I posted in the TN section and the VA section last night, bc we live at the border of them, and close to NC too! And I’m willing to drive more than some.

At any rate... thank you for all your help! Image Thanks! ImageImageImage

Did you see this overmountain1... viewtopic.php?f=112&t=119687#p1074573

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:04 am

I did- thank you for sharing! I have contacted them, and their wish is to keep them all together at this time- I’m not sure if they’ve found anyone yet or not. I would love to adopt a few, but I just cannot take them all right now, no matter how much I would love to be able to do so! I believe they are letting the tank go with all of them if they can find a home for them together, but we didn’t get into the details of that.
Thanks so much for thinking of me! I really would love to have at least a large, although my Maggie is getting closer to that end of medium!
(We did rescue/adopt 3 smalls today though!)

Dave the Wondercrab~Patpat the Scaredy Cat~MaggieMoo-Dumbo~Billy

hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:50 pm

No problem. Glad you were able to adopt, that's awesome!!