Surprise Power Outage

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Lephantome92

Surprise Power Outage

Post by Lephantome92 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Due to high winds, I unexpectedly lost power while I was at work before leaving for the weekend. I figured it wouldn't be too bad since my sister would be present and could take care of things when the power came back on. However, if there time frame is accurate, power won't be restored until all but there 6th. I'm already worries about 4 crabs because I haven't seen them since July no matter when I look, but I'm now worried about the 3 I have seen. As of 11pm the 2nd, their temp at soil has dropped from the usual 72-80 (working on it) to 60. The outside temperature is predicted to be no higher than 45 before power returns. Is there anything that can be done to help me crabs? I'm especially nervous because 2 are straws

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Surprise Power Outage

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:19 am

They need to be moved into a 70 degree environment. People have had crabs die in the high 60s before, for sure below that is fatal. The straws especially cannot handle colder temps. Can you bring them to anyone or anyplace with power? It doesn't have to fancy, pack them in moist moss or paper towels, preferrably in individual food containers. They can survive contained and without food for a few days, the temp is the most important thing!!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm

wodesorel wrote:They need to be moved into a 70 degree environment. People have had crabs die in the high 60s before, for sure below that is fatal. The straws especially cannot handle colder temps. Can you bring them to anyone or anyplace with power? It doesn't have to fancy, pack them in moist moss or paper towels, preferrably in individual food containers. They can survive contained and without food for a few days, the temp is the most important thing!!
Sorry for responding late, but somehow all of my crabs survived in 50 degree weather during the same power outage, but my E dug down, for she probably wouldn’t be able to survive 50 degree weather
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:29 pm

AwesomeHermit: when you say your crabs survived 50 degree during an outage, was the crabitat actually 50 inside the tank and if so for how many hours or days?

I'm trying to find out whether one of my 2 crabs could be dead - we had a 16 hr power outage last night, it dropped to 57 degrees in the tank by the time I realized it and was able to warm up the tank - one made it though and is doing fine the other has not budged all day. anyone reading this pls say a prayer she is just resting from the shock and will be moving again tomorrow!

Edit: both crabs seem fine now. The one I was worried about (that was still all day) finally moved around that evening and ate and (I hope) is back to normal.