Crab hanging out of shell, gone missing

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Bates9118

Crab hanging out of shell, gone missing

Post by Bates9118 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
4 inch calci sand, EE mix

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, located at top and bottom of tank. 82 degrees at top and 69 degrees at bottom. Humidity is 80.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, 25 w and 75 w bulb

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Salt is instant ocean mix

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Replaced every 12 hours. Fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and meat

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
It’s a PP ive had for 2 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Not yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20 gallon, screen top with tin foil

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 medium and 2 large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean daily

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

PROBLEM: first time crab owner. I noticed Jimmy was hanging out of his shell, although the shell had previously been a perfect fit. After a few days of hanging out of the shell, he buried himself. He has been buried for 8 days, no sign of him at all.
Jimmy, Jimmy, Ghost and October

Topic author
Bates9118

Re: Crab hanging out of shell, gone missing

Post by Bates9118 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:17 pm

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Your crab is either molting or de-stressing. Molting could take a month or so to complete but if he is just de-stressing he will be up soon. Digging and buring is normal for hermit crabs, maybe your crab is stressed from not having some friends? Buying 1 or 2 more crabs will help him cope with a new home.

:crabblush:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
Bates9118

Post by Bates9118 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Thank you scuttle! I figured he was molting, but wasn’t sure if his behavior prior to doing so was normal. I do have three friends for him, so he is good there:)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:18 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
4 inch calci sand, EE mix
Curly - Calci sand is NOT safe for crabs. I'm not sure whether to advise you to dig up your crab at this point or not. Hopefully someone with more expertise can advise about that! Substrate needs to be at least 6 inches, or three times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, located at top and bottom of tank. 82 degrees at top and 69 degrees at bottom. Humidity is 80.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, 25 w and 75 w bulb

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt. Salt is instant ocean mix
Curly - what brand of dechlorinator do you use for your water?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Replaced every 12 hours. Fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and meat
Curly - What do you give for a Calcium source? Be sure to check out the Food and Nutrition section for proper diet.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
It’s a PP ive had for 2 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Not yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20 gallon, screen top with tin foil

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2 medium and 2 large

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean daily

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

PROBLEM: first time crab owner. I noticed Jimmy was hanging out of his shell, although the shell had previously been a perfect fit. After a few days of hanging out of the shell, he buried himself. He has been buried for 8 days, no sign of him at all.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:10 pm

Just a couple of other tips. Is your thermometer/hygrometer analog or digital? Analog is highly inaccurite.
Heat bulbs tend to dry out the humidity.
Plastic wrap or plexi glass hold in the humidity better than tinfoil.
It's recommended to supply 3-5 shells per crab.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: First time buying lights, is this LED light good for day and night viewing?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:31 pm

What's the rough ratio of calcisand to EE? If EE is the majority, it shouldn't be that much of a risk and should be fine to change up (either by removing most of the tank) when qll crabs are on the surfscr or adding additional safer substrate to get the depth up over a couple day period.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Bates9118

Post by Bates9118 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:20 am

Thank you for all of the advice! Jimmy actually popped up today, and it looks like he hasn’t molted. I guess he was just destressing after all, so I will make a point not to disturb him. Can someone explain why calci sand is unsafe? There is some conflicting information online, but most say it’s because it hardens and can hurt the crab. Does mixing it with eco earth change anything?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:39 am

Bates9118 wrote:Thank you for all of the advice! Jimmy actually popped up today, and it looks like he hasn’t molted. I guess he was just destressing after all, so I will make a point not to disturb him. Can someone explain why calci sand is unsafe? There is some conflicting information online, but most say it’s because it hardens and can hurt the crab. Does mixing it with eco earth change anything?
Thats pretty much exactly the reason. When in contact with water - humidity in the tank, but more notably keeping the substrate moist at sand castle consistency - it tends to clump and harden. This has the potential to trap crabs in their shell - clumps build up with mass - or has the potential to harm their delicate abdomen.

In low concentrations, its not exactly bad. Just not preferable, as theres better and safer alternatives out there for substrate - thats also a lot cheaper!

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Bates9118

Post by Bates9118 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:22 am

Ran out and replaced the calci sand / EE mixture with just EE for now! Nearly had a heart attack. Haha

Topic author
Bates9118

Post by Bates9118 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 am

Lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Good thing you'll that you were able to change it out, no potential worries that it may cause issues.