Finding a Good UTH in Canada

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Finding a Good UTH in Canada

Post by AutumnFalls » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi guys, I'm a fairly long-time crabber but I've run into a problem. I've been using the crappy Zoomed heaters in combination with keeping my house warmer to keep my crabitat warm enough. It works but I end up being too hot. :lol: It gets cold here and I'm now living in a basement so I need lots of extra heat for the tank. My main problem is that any pet store I've found only sells the Zoomed brand UTHs. I've looked online years ago for that good tape-like stuff but the shipping was like $100! So, do any fellow Canadians (or anyone who buys outside US) know where I can find a good UTH for a reasonable price? Thanks, guys!

ETA: I used a lamp in the past but it dried things out too fast. It's really dry here (usually around 15% inside my house).

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finding a Good UTH in Canada

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:37 pm

I too am Canadian. I have had to order online and have it shipped to the US, either when I was going on vacation, or to Border Services in Dunseith, ND (which is only a little hop across the border for me).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 am

Unfortunately, I'm a bit farther from the border, but I could try to see if an American friend could get one and ship it to me. It's so frustrating that they can't be found here.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 pm

AutumnFalls wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:15 am
Unfortunately, I'm a bit farther from the border, but I could try to see if an American friend could get one and ship it to me. It's so frustrating that they can't be found here.
How did you end up heating your tank? I'm considering heat tape, but not sure if it's good.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Thu May 09, 2019 11:58 am

Scarletfire wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 pm
How did you end up heating your tank? I'm considering heat tape, but not sure if it's good.
For now, I have three Zoomed UTH on my tank but I'm going to be in the US in the Fall so I'm hoping that I can buy some good heating tape. I'm not as worried about temperature in the summer months so I'm holding off for now.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:01 pm

I ended up with THG heat tape from Cornel's world. It does need a temperature controller, otherwise will get too hot.

Topic author
AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:01 pm
I ended up with THG heat tape from Cornel's world. It does need a temperature controller, otherwise will get too hot.
Where is Cornel's World? I've never heard of it.

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:50 pm

AutumnFalls wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm
Where is Cornel's World? I've never heard of it.
They're located in Calgary, but ships all over Canada. They're the official dealer in Canada, listed on the THG website. They also sell terranium and reptile supplies.