Adopted 2 Crabbies that weren't in best condition; not moving or eating much!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
shartistic1

Adopted 2 Crabbies that weren't in best condition; not moving or eating much!

Post by shartistic1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 5 parts play sand 1 part Eco Earth mixed together; 6 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Yes, they are located on side of tank; Humidity is 85% and Temp is 75.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? I have a ZooMed 30-40 gallon size. It is attached to the back of my 10 gallon tank. It takes up most of the back part.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both fresh and salt water is available. Both dechlorinated with Tetra AquaSafe Plus. I'm using Instant Ocean for the salt mix.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I'm currently feeding them freeze dried shrimp, cornmeal, spinach, peanut butter, honey, and apple.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I just adopted them from someone this past weekend so I've only had them a few days. I think at least one is a PP. Maybe both. I think the woman I adopted from said that she had them a year or so.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? I don't know.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 10 gallon tank with wire lid and covered with plastic wrap

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 and they are pretty small; crabs look to be a little over an inch or so; their shells are 2 inches or so

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 6

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I haven't had to clean it yet since I've only had them two days, but I will clean it weekly and whenever needed.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No sponges.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Cuttle bone

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. I'm just concerned about my crabs' well-being. I just adopted them from someone who was not caring for them in the correct way. They had only an inch of completely dry sand. No heater, no moisture, no lid. They were only being fed cornmeal and sometimes shrimp. I have no idea how cold it was in the home they were living in. I also do not know the quality of their water/food. I'm just nervous because they haven't been eating or moving much since I set up their new home. I don't know if they have to recover or if they are too weak. One was active when I first put them into their new set-up but then hasn't left the coco-hut since last night. The other one has not moved much at all. It is hanging out a little bit from its shell and moves a tiny bit, but that's it. What do you think is going on? Should I be super worried? Do I just need to wait it out and see? Do you think they are still cold? Any advice, help, suggestions, etc. are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

New crab mom to Lyra and Stardust (We are big Star Wars fans...)
Also dog mom to Sooky - our 8lb. Chiweenie

Hermiesguardian

Re: Adopted 2 Crabbies that weren't in best condition; not moving or eating much!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm no where near experienced as most on here. But I would say it sounds like you're doing everything right. You could try raising the heat a bit. To 80. Otherwise just let them chill. Keep in mind, unfortunately, they probably have PPS.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adopted 2 Crabbies that weren't in best condition; not moving or eating much!

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:46 pm

As HG said, looks like your set up is pretty good - they have much improved conditions than they have had! Time will tell if it's just them getting used to their tank or if it's something more serious.
Just a couple of small suggestions/ clarifications:
Substrate needs to be moist enough to hold it's shape but not so wet that water pools.
I agree that a bit warmer temps might make them more active.
Check out the 'food' section for nutrition tips and the food pyramid.
I am not familiar with that brand of dechlorinator - someone else will have to chime in. Instant Ocean is good for the salt water. Pools need to be deep enough that they can submerge, but also have a way for them to climb out.
All that is needed is 'spot' cleaning poop and bits of food, no need to remove/ replace substrate.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 am

Just give them time and TLC and hope for the best. They could be destrssing. I do know that PPs are more active at night. You can try checking on then a few hours after lights out if you dont have a camera. See if you see anything. Every case is different but I know I had one I swore wasnt moving only to catch him head so g back to his normal spot to sleep in the wee hours of the morning

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 am

Another vote for wait and cross your fingers. Sometimes they have the ability to bounce back, and sometimes they were already hanging by a thread and moving them stresses them out so much they fade faster. I really think you've got everything perfect to give them the best possible chance. Just try and keep them as stress-free as possible for now, until you have a better idea which direction they are headed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
shartistic1

Post by shartistic1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks so much for all of your responses. I have another uth on the way to try to make it a little warmer for them. My substrate is sand castle consistency. I've been trying to follow the food pyramid. I'm just going to keep making sure their home is as ideal as possible and hope for the best. I feel so bad they were living in such conditions for so long. I wish people were more educated about hermit crab care. I'll post any new developments. Thanks again! *Keeping fingers crossed that they are just destressing*

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi! I'm pretty new on this forum and what you're doing is really good, but I've had problems heating my ten gallon in the past and I have a couple suggestions.
I had problems with the Zoomed heaters, I wasn't able to warm the tank past 77, so I got both the thirty-forty gallon and the ten-twenty heaters and the heat hasn't been an issue since. There have been warnings that insulating the Zoomed heaters makes a fire hazard, but I cover mine with no problems. If that doesn't help, covering the top of the tank with a towel might bring the heat up a tad. I hope that your crabs feel better!
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Zoomed heaters should not be insulated over top. A fire hazard isn't a problem until it is a very big problem, and too late to reverse.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
shartistic1

Post by shartistic1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:07 pm

I put a towel over just the top of the tank, not anywhere near the uth. I'm not playing any games with insulating near/around/on top of the zoomed uth. I've got another one coming that I'm going to add to the side. Just adding the towel warmed it up a few degrees. I think once I add the other uth it will be perfect. Good news: Lyra (the one who was not moving at all) moved all the way to the other side of the tank today. I was so happy to see her up and about. Stardust is still hunkered down in the coco-hut but I feel at least a little better to see some movement and life. I'm just going to keep maintaining the tank and giving them healthy food and keep at it. So far so good I suppose. Any changes, I'll be sure to share. Thanks! :crabbigsmile:

Topic author
shartistic1

Post by shartistic1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Hello everyone! Just wanted to update on my two crabbies. So it's been three months and Stardust is thriving. She survived her first molt and even changed into a bigger shell. I'm so proud of her! As far as Lyra goes, she has been MIA since the end of March. I saw her for awhile hiding out at the back of the tank, but haven't seen her. I assumed she went to molt but it's been so long, I'm not sure she's still alive in there. There has never been a fishy smell at all. Did Stardust eat her even though she is the smaller one? I'd love to hear what you think about where Lyra might be. Thanks!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm

shartistic1 wrote:Hello everyone! Just wanted to update on my two crabbies. So it's been three months and Stardust is thriving. She survived her first molt and even changed into a bigger shell. I'm so proud of her! As far as Lyra goes, she has been MIA since the end of March. I saw her for awhile hiding out at the back of the tank, but haven't seen her. I assumed she went to molt but it's been so long, I'm not sure she's still alive in there. There has never been a fishy smell at all. Did Stardust eat her even though she is the smaller one? I'd love to hear what you think about where Lyra might be. Thanks!
Gosh I’m sorry Lyra is missing! Good job to Stardust though!
That is always a danger/possibility, but if that was the case you might also find parts of the crab lying around. Not always but. That is a long molt time but not unheard of for some not so healthy ones who simply need more time to rest and heal before they molt. I’ve had one down for 5-6 weeks now and she’s about to kill me cause it’s her first molt with me too. I hope Lyra comes out of hiding healthy and whole very soon.

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Hello :) Congratulations on your adoptions! :) One thing I would like to say is I'm not sure how small your smallest crab was, but smaller crabs do tend to molt more frequently. She/He could be coming up and then going right back down without you noticing. :) Stay positive! :) Provide lots of calcium choices, shell choices, and also make sure you follow the food pyramid :) Good luck! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Great job on Stardust! I wouldn’t give up hope on Lyra just yet, she could’ve gone down to destress, come up at night when you didn’t see, then went back down to molt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
shartistic1

Post by shartistic1 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you for your replies. Still no sign of Lyra. I'll keep hoping and checking to see.