Always organic food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Wendy UK

Always organic food?

Post by Wendy UK » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi guys, sorry more questions... I have always fed my HCs organic food but this really restricts their diet as I can't always find an awful lot of choice... Suggestions really welcome :?:

Motörcrab

Re: Always organic food?

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:11 pm

They "should" be fed as much organic food as possible. Pesticides can be harmful or fatal to crabs. I try to always try to buy organics for us and the crabs but like you said it is impossible to get everything. I look at it like this, It's always more healthy to prepare your meals from scratch compared to going out and eating fast food for every meal. Non organic should be ok on occasion but not as a constant steady diet.

I also try and avoid GMO items as well. I personally think that stuff is terrible. Modifying seeds with pesticides so bugs don't eat the crops. The bugs are smarter than us!

Hopefully my organic explanation makes sense. I don't want to say it is safe but, I don't want to say it is entirely bad either. There was just a topic on how some people feed their crabs Cheerios as treats on occasion, those are far from being organic.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Hiya, thanks for speedy reply :)

Yes I read the cheerios post too! Like yourself I try to eat organic where possible and fresh foods.

I've looked at the good food guide here and it's pretty comprehensive which is great, I have a basil plant and would like to try them on a leaf.. If I wash it with treated water I'd imagine that was ok? I just don't want to poison my little ones :o x

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 pm

I found some small jars of organic, no additives baby food at the grocery store. They have all kids of fruit and veggie mixes. I ended up emptying the jar into a plastic baggie, got all the air out, and pressed it thin and flat then put it in the freezer. When I remember I have it I break a little chunk off and put it in the tank frozen. It goes back to mush pretty quick and the crabs seem to enjoy it too.

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:19 pm
I found some small jars of organic, no additives baby food at the grocery store. They have all kids of fruit and veggie mixes. I ended up emptying the jar into a plastic baggie, got all the air out, and pressed it thin and flat then put it in the freezer. When I remember I have it I break a little chunk off and put it in the tank frozen. It goes back to mush pretty quick and the crabs seem to enjoy it too.
I do something similar. Accept I measure small amounts into the tops of water bottle lids and freeze it. Drop the lids in a zip-lock bag for storage. Remove a cap and place in tank. Easy for clean up and removal that way too :P
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:48 am

Now that is a great idea :banana: thanks x

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 am

Food being grown and labelled as “organic” doesn’t mean they don’t have pesticides. Organic pesticides are used, which will still kill hermit crabs and insects or be toxic to them.

“Genetically Modified” is also another concept that has gotten wildly misrepresented and misinformation spread like wildfire. Modifying food and selective breeding so that crops are drought resistant or have greater yields isn’t evil. If you purchase ears of corn, you’re buying a modified crop. Most of the vegetables we purchase and grow now don’t resemble the product from 100 years ago.

Just wash whatever you’re feeding them and peel fruits and veg if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:21 pm

:) thank you.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 pm

There's a Dirty Dozen list published every year, that has the top sources of pesticides in fruits and veggies. Those are usually the best ones to buy organic if you have the option!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:43 am

I also have trouble finding organic locally, so I order my food. Check on Etsy, there's a store called The Healthy Hermit. All of her food is organic! Prices are great and my crabs love EVERYTHING from her!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Unfortunately, with custom restrictions and duties, ordering food internationally is usually an expensive headache.

I don't know of any UK sellers. We've rarely had UK and English speaking European members over the years - not sure if hermits aren't as popular there, or if there is a different forum that owners use instead of us. (Although I know of all the Aussie ones, so I've always assumed that hermits aren't much of a popular pet.)

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:58 am

Hi... I think you may be right about the UK.. People think I'm barmy 😂 but I have learnt so much in the past couple of months and they are very endearing little creatures ok so not cuddly but totally fascinating and I will ensure they get the very best food and care. Love 'em :)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am

On my current work trip to the Netherlands I asked a few people about hermit crabs as pets. I had to show them a few pictures like a proud parents would of their kids. They never saw them before, maybe in a zoo but they do not have them in pet shops here. My guess is they are not a common pet in most of the EU as pets. That would explain why there arent many European members. I'm sure if they are avaliable they would all be considered exotic pets. Similar to how other species other than Purple Pinchers are considered exotic in the US.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:02 pm

One of our former Admins was from up around the Netherlands - SojMad. She also had GALS and some other unusual pets that we can't get in the US!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:24 pm

I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to bring any exotics home with me. I don't think the TSA would be too thrilled.

Speaking of travel.... What are the rules for flying with hermit crabs? I know cats and dogs need their shots to be up to date and remain in their carrier. I often though about trying to do a rescue while traveling in the US for work. Last year I questioned a stewardess with American Airlines, they looked into it and thought they would be fine to travel with. That was just before the girl was flying with a hamster and the other airline animal deaths. I'm not sure if it would turn to the discresson of who is on duty or what. I would hate to get approval then be turned away at the gate.