New Heater

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
crabbiemama15

New Heater

Post by crabbiemama15 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello! As of now I do have a heater for my crabs but I have been looking into getting a better one and doing some upgrades in their tank, currently they have a small zoomed under tank heater, which recently I have learned is a fire hazard. I also have a leopard gecko, (he just got all his upgrades) he has an under tank heater with a thermostat and I really really love his heater, I want to get the same one for my crabs except I'm not sure how to get it on the side and not underneath, electrical tape around the edges? I haven't been able to find any heaters that are actually made for going on the side of tanks. I was just going to buy the same heater my gecko has because it works AMAZINGLY and I have never had any issues with it but would it be stupid to put electrical tape around the edges to hold it on the side of the tank? It kind of makes sense to me, electrical tape can withstand heat and absorbs electricity and its very sticky and strong, where as I feel like using anything else to stick it to the side would cause melting, or fire hazards, or possibly not even hold it up (also the heating mat is black so it wouldn't look too funky). Thanks in advance for any help!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Heater

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:39 pm

Yep, that's exactly what many on here do. We use under the tank heaters (UTH) taped onto the side of the tank. :) The heating element doesn't get hot enough to burn the tape, or cause a fire hazard.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
crabbiemama15

Post by crabbiemama15 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Okay thank you, I wasn't sure and I had looked and didn't see or find any other way to put it up. No one I know personally has hermies so when I'm unsure of things I come here, better than the information on the internet.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:53 pm

That's what all of us members came here for as well, to get handy tips and tricks to keep hermies in captivity!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies