Sanitise old fishing net for crabitat

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Wendy UK

Sanitise old fishing net for crabitat

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 am

Hi all

So some really kind person on Ebay has given me, free of charge, a piece of old fishing net :banana: however its old and a bit of a musty smell.... Its a man made fibre.. Is there anyway I can treat it/sanitise it as I wouldn't just put it in the tank?

Possibly boil it??

P. S. Both my hermies have emerged from molt now.. Very excited :cheer: zee

Cheers

Wendy x

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Sanitise old fishing net for crabitat

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:48 am

I've boiled pieces before and it works, but it smells awfully fishy!

One of the old members here ran hers through her washing machine without soap on hot to remove the debris. I tried it and it worked great, had to wash it a few times to get all the mud out. Ran a couple loads that required bleaching afterward to clean the machine out.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 am

When I buy used fishing net from crafting stores I heat up a pot of water to boiling. Once the water is boiling I put the net in and allow the water to reach boiling again. Then I will pull the net out and let it cool and dry off before use. I may be overkill but it definitely wouldn't hurt boiling it a second time. Since the netting is used I believe the fishy smell is unavoidable during boiling.

As long as the netting wasn't painted or altered you should be fine with boiling or the washing machine.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Wendy UK

Post by Wendy UK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Super thanks I'll give it a go 8)