Molting crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
ads3336

Molting crab

Post by ads3336 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm

My crab looked dead, so I picked him up, hes molted. Will he die since I moved him? He had been buried but I saw the exoskeleton laying partically out of the shell onto of the sand. What should I do.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting crab

Post by curlysister » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:12 pm

To clarify, did you dig him up? Crabs should not molt on the surface, if they do, something is wrong in the tank. He needs to be isolated from the other crabs.
Please fill in the emergency template so we can help you trouble shoot (copy and paste with your answers in a new comment).

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ads3336

Post by ads3336 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 am

He was partially buried. I could see the tip of his shell. But when I came home the whole shell and loose exoskeleton was exposed on the surface. I thought he was dead so I picked it up. The exo skeleton fell on out and I could see him inside the shell. He is very light pink and looks smaller. But I placed him back down with the exo skeleton next to him. The sand and hermit dirt I got from pets mart is about two and half inches thick. .

Topic author
ads3336

Post by ads3336 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 
Sand and hermit dirt that I got at pets mart (you have to add water to it)
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? 
No gauges

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 
No, it stays around 75 in my bed room

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? 
Fresh spring water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? 
Hermit pellets, fruit, and dried shrimp

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 
Couple of months and I dont knownthe species

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No, it's molting now

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 
It has a large plastic tank with a hermit hut inside. And it's a vented lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 
One hes about the size of a 50€ piece

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? 
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? 
Once weekly, I wash it with warm water and dish soap, rinse thoroughly and dry well before putting sand back in.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? 
Yes, they are cleaned with very hot water.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? 
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
He digs holes and moved the stuff in the tank to the holes. Things like the water dish, the hermit hut, and other shells

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Already have

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 am

ads3336 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 
Sand and hermit dirt that I got at pets mart (you have to add water to it)

the HCA recommends a mix of eco earth and playsand, 5:1ration. It has to be mixed with dechlorinated water to sandcastle consistancy but not dripping wet. It has to be a minimum of 6"inches or 3x the height of your largest crab. Whichever us deeper.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? 
No gauges

guages are very important. Digital are the best, more accurate. Heat needs to be 80 degrees and humidity at least 80%. They have modified gills and need the humidity to breath.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? 
No, it stays around 75 in my bed room

as stated above heat should be around 80 degrees.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? 
Fresh spring water

even spring water should be dechlorinated. A good dechlorinator is Prime. It removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals and neutralizes ammonia. Salt water should be made by mixing Instant Ocean, per directions, with dechlorinated water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? 
Hermit pellets, fruit, and dried shrimp

unfortunately most items marketed for hermit crabs are toxic to them. Check out the safe/unsafe food list and food pyramid on here. They can eat almost anything we eat. Organic as often as possible. They need protein and calcium daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? 
Couple of months and I dont knownthe species

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No, it's molting now

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 
It has a large plastic tank with a hermit hut inside. And it's a vented lid

since the substrate needs to be minimum 6" a 10 gallon tank is a good start, but will fill up quickly with everything they need. You can find deals on craigslist, Offerup, and Letgo for tanks. The lid has to be completely sealed to maintain humidity. Either a glass cover or mesh covered with plexiglass and taped down. In the meantime you can seal your lid with saran wrap and tape. They will get air when you feed them.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 
One hes about the size of a 50€ piece

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 

the HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. They are picky. You can find on here the types of shells they prefer. And painted shells are toxic.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? 
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? 
Once weekly, I wash it with warm water and dish soap, rinse thoroughly and dry well before putting sand back in.

there is no need to do that type of cleaning. Only spot cleaning of old food that has been dragged around.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? 
Yes, they are cleaned with very hot water.

sponges are an old practice and hold bacteria. Throw them out.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? 
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
He digs holes and moved the stuff in the tank to the holes. Things like the water dish, the hermit hut, and other shells

they are also called tree climbers and should have things to climb on.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Already have
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
ads3336

Post by ads3336 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm

That doesn't answer my question about moving the crab

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

ads3336 wrote:That doesn't answer my question about moving the crab
While it doesn't outright answer your question, it does in a way. A moulter should be buried, and be under the substrate where you can't view the shell - thos protects the vulnerable crab from becoming part of the food chain in the wild. If requirements aren't met, then you get your question so to speak.

But in saying that, no. The crab wont die if being moves however its best to limit any movement on a moulting crab due to it being a stressful event on the crab. If you do move it, ensure you also move the exoskeleton if you see it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:54 pm

Is this the same crab that was 'hanging out of his shell' on January 7? I had asked for the Emergency Template then, but you didn't complete it. How did things go for that crab?

The answer to your question is that moving the crab might not cause it to die, but improper conditions might.

Two things to add the Hermiesguardian's advice. Pools need to be deep enough that crabs can fully submerge, and have a way that they can crawl out. Also, the ratio is usually 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE.

The Care Sheets section has really good info about all aspects of crab care - be sure to check it out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ads3336

Post by ads3336 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm

That older crab is fine. I have him in a separate tank. He changed shells a couple weeks after I posted in January. I also have a hermit crab that I've had for three years, he would bury himself for weeks at a time and not come up.

Topic author
ads3336

Post by ads3336 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Update....I heard a scratching noise coming from the cage. Hes alive, hes sitting ontop of his sponge.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm glad he's okay. How are the conditions in the other tank? There are a few things that can be improved in this tank, as described above.