Humidity / lid question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Humidity / lid question

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 am

Can someone explain to me what’s going on and how to make this better?

I have a 10 gallon tank and used to have very high humidity 85-96% range (using accurite hygrometer), but when I moved to a home without a humidifier a few weeks ago I noticed the humidity slowly dropped down to 65%). The lid is mesh and is 80% covered with Saran Wrap, same as before. Daily spraying helped temporarily, but within a couple hours it would be dropping again. I closed the air vent nearest the tank, nothing. A few days ago I covered the tank lid with a paper towel and bowl while some furniture anchoring was being done so that drywall dust wouldn’t get into the tank. I noticed the humidity went up! Now I’m keeping it covered except a 1” gap and it’s hovering around the 80% so it wasn’t a fluke.

Why on earth would a paper towel help when there’s Saran Wrap already on there?! Any suggestions of a more permanent solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Re: Humidity / lid question

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 am

A glass canopy lid would be a good permanent solution. I have one on my tank and I love it, it really holds the heat and humidity well. If you search online for “aquarium glass canopy lid” and measure your tank, you should be able to find one. I got mine at a local pet store for $25. You don’t need any gaps or spaces, the air exchange from when you feed them will be plenty.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:15 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:A glass canopy lid would be a good permanent solution. I have one on my tank and I love it, it really holds the heat and humidity well. If you search online for “aquarium glass canopy lid” and measure your tank, you should be able to find one. I got mine at a local pet store for $25. You don’t need any gaps or spaces, the air exchange from when you feed them will be plenty.
I’ll look into these. Maybe I can do 2 to fit my 50 that has a divider on top.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 am

You can cover the lid totally with plexiglass from a hobby store. Tape it down all around. They get enough air when you open the tank to feed them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 am

How does a glass canopy lid work with a bubbler? Does it just sit ajar?

I like the idea of plexiglass, but won’t be able to cut it myself I think. In the past I have t had success with that lol. If I do 2 pieces with s gap would that fix this?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:57 am

And they really get enough air opening every 2-3 days without opening in a10 gallon? I’m sure fir the larger tanks they do I didn’t realize you couid do that for a 10 gallon

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:59 am

I didn’t mention a bubbler above because I got one but haven’t installed it yet. My stupid self had the cabinet anchored to the wall with both electrical outlets used for heaters so I have to unanchor the cabinet to install the bubbler then re-anchor the cabinet.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm

The plexiglass can be scored with a utility knife then broken. My husband does it for me so I don't really know how difficult it it. Usually the lip of the tank has notches cut out for hoses. I just squish mine a bit with the lid against them. And yes, every 2-3 days is fine.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Yeahhhh I don’t have a good track record with scoring or cutting plexiglass. Every tine it cracks or chards etc

My tank doesn’t have any indents on the rim / tip lip. It’s flat all the way around, it’s just a basic one bummer

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:15 am
I’ll look into these. Maybe I can do 2 to fit my 50 that has a divider on top.

I know I picked up a glass lid for a 55 at the Petco in Bloom a few months ago. I think they were around $21. I picked that up when I bought the stand. They had them near the front center area where the aquariums are on a lower shelf. They had a bunch of different sizes. Just measure what size will fit and see what will work for a 50. I'm not sure if it would be the same as a 55 or not. I do know that a 55 is the same as a 20 tall tank. 11 x 23 for the actual glass then an extra inch for the plastic guard so 12 X 23 total.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Alot of you humidity change can be due to your homes heating. I know with baseboard heat my house is very dry. Between 16-25% humidity. If you have forced air heat that can be even dryer yet.

All of the glass lids I have seen have a plastic flap on the back side. That can easily be cut or drilled to run air lines, or run temperature probes for thermostats. As long as you have a drill and a good bit it shouldn't take much.

My 75 G tank must have a goofy top because the glass tops are about a 1/2" too wide for where they should fit. When I added bubblers to it I ran the bubbler hoses down the inside front of the tank. With the lid not sealing I ended up using a piece of bubble wrap as a space filler. That has been working so far none of my guys have tried to pop the bubbles yet!

You can always double up or wrap more plastic wrap around the screen too. Like Hermiesgardigan stated as long as you are opening the tank every day or two that will be enough air circulation.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:54 pm

This is funny because I have a separate thread going as this about the same thing. My problem with plexi is mine right now really says in the middle creating a gap. I mean the humidity bends the sides so it says in the center. This is the reason I want to go the glass route.

I also have to work around bubbler tubes and camera wires as well.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:36 pm

I saw your post on another thread and commented about the glass lids at Petco.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:54 pm
This is funny because I have a separate thread going as this about the same thing. My problem with plexi is mine right now really says in the middle creating a gap. I mean the humidity bends the sides so it says in the center. This is the reason I want to go the glass route.

I also have to work around bubbler tubes and camera wires as well.

I have no problems with my plexiglass. Mine is taped down on all sides. Is yours taped down?

RiNiKy506

Humidity / lid question

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Plasmoc wrote:How does a glass canopy lid work with a bubbler? Does it just sit ajar?

I like the idea of plexiglass, but won’t be able to cut it myself I think. In the past I have t had success with that lol. If I do 2 pieces with s gap would that fix this?

They have a plastic piece that slides on the back of the glass that you can cut out to fit any tubing or cords that you need to go inside of the tank. Here is the back plastic piece before I got it on, it was very hard to slide it on.
LeeHasCrabs wrote: I’ll look into these. Maybe I can do 2 to fit my 50 that has a divider on top.

Let me know how you make out with that, that reminds me I will probably need 2 pieces for my 55. I can’t remember if the original tank hood is any good but I’d like to stick with the glass canopy for humidity anyway.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit