Possible new stand delimma

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

Possible new stand delimma

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Hey y'all! I've been using this piece in our living room, but I moved it into the spare room to use as the stand for the 80 gallon. The measurements fit, but my boyfriend is convinced it won't hold under the weight. He's mainly concerned about the empty section under the top.... Any suggestions??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Possible new stand delimma

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm

You're looking at around 500-600 pounds in just substrate on a tank that size, plus the weight of the tank and anything else you add to it. I wouldn't risk it unless that stand was made for the old projection TVs.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm

Wodesorel is right. 500-600 lbs would be a lot for that stand. I personally wouldn't try using that as is for anything over a 40 G. You could attempt to brace it with 2 x 4's or 2 x 2's. The only thing is you will more than likely ruin the look of the stand by doing so.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Wellllll, looks like I'm using the stand that came with the tank. It's a home made stand out of pallets so it's really short, just a foot or so off of the ground so I was trying to get a taller stand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm

You could always make your own. Or depending on the tank, its likely that there is a matching stand available from the same manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:53 pm

What if you added extra support in the open sections?

Edit: Neverminde - I just saw it has four tiny legs at the bottom and doesn't sit flat.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com