Untouched food? Hairs in water?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: Untouched food? Hairs in water?

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am

lid!!! Not covering my kids in plastic

I cleaned out the water & food dishes really well last night. The water dishes are full of them again. Do I need to change it everyday now? What if they get in the crabs shells?

Sorry, I tried googling and searching on here but am still unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 am

Hahahahahaha!! Oops....sorry!! Although that makes it even funnier that I misunderstood!!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Changing the water often is never the wrong choice, but a day or two with them in there won't hurt anything.

They will climb in the crab's shells but I have never seen them bothered by this. They would be cleaning the crab's body of debris and mold spores and anything else the crab may have picked up between molts - like birds on wildebeests, or those little cleaning fish on sharks.

Funny story, I somehow ended up with a springtail outbreak in both my largest turtle tank and my overwinter indoor pond. No land in either tank. They were all up the sides of the glass and plastic, and jumping all over the water surface. Lasted two weeks and they all disappeared again!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Interesting! I’m fascinated how these bugs spring to life in the tank and take over so quickly, seemingly out of nowhere.

Hopefully they’ll die down within a couple weeks. I’m creeped out st the thought of them jumping on me or out to the floor when I change the water / food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:13 pm

They typically do have a burst and then die off.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com