I am new to hermit crabs and don’t know what’s going on!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

ROSIEonFIRE

Re: I am new to hermit crabs and don’t know what’s going on!

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Nessiandnoah wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:49 pm
ImageOk update and question! My molter is still doing great, walking around, and I moved her and my other hermit to their new aquarium. It has two heating pads on the side, sand and eco earth mix, and the humidity is great! However, I can’t get the temperature to stay above 70. It always drops between 65-70 and it was like this with my other tank too. I use a heat lamp but it dries out the tank and drops the humidity to 65ish. I was going to try not using the heat lamp but it gets too cold :-/ so today I turned the heat lamp on and when I got home from work the temp was 80 and the humidity 60 so I turned it off which I always do on the evening anyways. Now the temp is below 70 and humidity is fine. how do I warm them up?! One of my heating pads is tiny, should I buy another big one? Thanks :)
it really helps to have the lid of your tank covered in seran wrap. This will really help with the humidity and even to some degree the heat. In addition to my heating pads I have the lid of my tank covered and I spritz the substrate almost every night. Some people say that misting increases the risk of flooding but I think you'd have to REALLY over do it for that to be a problem. One or both of these methods might solve the problem. If you try these things and its still too cold then it will definitely be time to get another heat pad. Also, how big is the new tank?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:54 pm

I have multiple UTH's, one on each side and two on the back. Sometimes I have all 4 on, sometimes less. I will put a blanket on the top of the tank as well sometimes to hold the heat in. I have a plexiglass lid, but a blanket could be draped over saran wrap too. Many people insulate over the heat pads - it can be done over Ultratherms, but not over ZooMeds.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:21 am

What type of heating pad do you have? It should cover the entire back of your tank from the top of your substrate to the top of the tank. Ultratherm is a good brand.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:53 pm

I didn’t use the heat lamp today and the temperature was 70 and humidity like close to 80....is that ok? Also my hermit crabs are loving their shells! First time they try out new shells! I bought a bunch and they have been going back and forth it’s so awesome! Well one finally picked a shell but my molter is being picky :)

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm

One of my heating pads is zoomed. It covers half the back of the tank but my other pad is tiny. I may just get a big one. I will try using a towel on top to help. As long as I don’t use the heat lamp the humidity is super high. I just want it warmer so maybe a bigger second pad. I have a 20 gallon. Idk how to add a picture on here or I would send a pic of my set up

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm

70 is not terrible but they really should be at 80 minimum. let us know how it goes.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Nessiandnoah wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm
One of my heating pads is zoomed. It covers half the back of the tank but my other pad is tiny. I may just get a big one. I will try using a towel on top to help. As long as I don’t use the heat lamp the humidity is super high. I just want it warmer so maybe a bigger second pad. I have a 20 gallon. Idk how to add a picture on here or I would send a pic of my set up
Yeah, zoomed is almost useless. You can get an Ultratherm at beanfarm.com or reptilebasics.com. Don't go by wattage. Go by size.
And you can add pics on the app Tapatalk.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Ok cool thanks!

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:14 pm

Ok so now I got what I think is mold growing on some moss I added to help with humidity. It’s like white fuzzy stuff. Is this bad or hazardous? The tank is in my son’s room so I don’t want him getting sick. Thanks y’all!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:37 pm

UTHs from the following companies are the best: www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com
the UtHs are going to do the best on the BACK of the tank above the substrate.
The top of your tank needs to be covered. Press - n - seal or saran wrap works.
You can also try to insulate your tank. Zoomed ones and ones similar to those cannot be insulated over the top of them. They need to be insulated around them because they are heat mats and already come insulated. To insulate, do the following:
Option a: Costs more, less work: Reflectix insulation (looks like a car shade) sold at Walmart/Lowe's/Home Depot - $14 roll: Cut to size - hang with packaging tape/duct tape/reflectix tape.
Option b: Cheaper, more work: Aluminum foil (shiny side facing inside the crabitat), then cardboard or styrofoam. may repeat layer of aluminum foil and cardboard or styrofoam if needed.

Mold is not harmful to the crabs, but is harmful to us, so it is best if you remove it.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm

How do I prevent the mold from continuing to grow once I remove it? It’s only grown since I added moss. Should I just remove the moss?

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:34 pm

replace it.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:59 pm

If I were you I would buy a bigger heating pad, because they don’t dry out the tank as much (from what I heard).
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Nessiandnoah wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:44 pm
How do I prevent the mold from continuing to grow once I remove it? It’s only grown since I added moss. Should I just remove the moss?
Once you remove the moss the mold probably won't be so much of a problem. Also if you want to try wet moss again try wetting it using marine salt water, it should prevent mold growth. Did you ever saran wrap the lid of the tank?

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:10 pm

I haven’t wrapped the lid. I have a plastic top now but I need a new heating pad. I need to buy one just haven’t ugh. I’ve got an emergency going on now I am about to post in a new forum