Do Hermit Crabs Need Holes In Transportation Containers?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
SR245

Do Hermit Crabs Need Holes In Transportation Containers?

Post by SR245 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi guys. I'm planning on moving soon and transporting the hermies with me. I was wondering if I could transport them in tupperwares, similar to the ones they give you at the pet store for frogs and such, but I was wondering if there is a need for air holes at all. Since they breathe the moisture in the air, would it be more prudent to seal the holes to keep moisture in, or are they necessary for successful transport? I'm not moving far enough away for it to matter, but I was curious in case it came up in the future and I plan on moving farther.

Many thanks,
OP

Wysper

Re: Do Hermit Crabs Need Holes In Transportation Containers?

Post by Wysper » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am

From what I understand, it would really depend on the length of time they would be in the transport containers and the size of the crabs in relation to the container.

An hour or less: I would say no need for holes if the container is big enough.
Longer than an hour: I would say yes if the container is small, for oxygen exchange.

We would really need to see the size of the containers in relation to the size of your crabs to give any educated advise.

:crabbigsmile:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:47 pm

Like previously mentioned, depends on where you are going, what kind of containers you are transferring them in, and what the weather is like :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Not really. I transport with tupperware for long trips or a large kritter keeper with saran wrap around the lid to keep as much humidity in as possible.

If you’re on a long long trip just crack the lid open once in a while if you are worried about oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm
Not really. I transport with tupperware for long trips or a large kritter keeper with saran wrap around the lid to keep as much humidity in as possible.

If you’re on a long long trip just crack the lid open once in a while if you are worried about oxygen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OP lives in Florida. We reach really hot temperatures here with the humidity - and if traveling in a car and not running ac, or if left in a car not running ac, temps excel really quickly. That is why I said it depends on the weather.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com