Humidity 103%

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: Humidity 103%

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 pm

I’ve been monitoring closely for flooding and suddenly there bottom was flooded overnight so I had to dig up the crabs in attempt to save them. Luckily none were currently molting.

I removed all 3 hermit crabs & decor & dishes and mixed in mixed in dry EE until sandcastle consistency throughout. I’m a little baffled as it still reads 99% and the tank sides are covers in condensation again. What should I do?

The only moisture that’s added in is when I replace the water dishes and any wet foods (eg raspberries).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:20 am

I have an imagitarium lid that has holes in it and I just use plastic wrap. If the humidity gets in the 90’s I just move the plastic wrap to air it out. It is basically a metal screened lid but it has bigger holes than an actual screen
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:58 am

I worry about the bugs getting out, so I only air it out a short time.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:30 am

If you have a screened lid can they get out through the holes? Also, since it flooded you might want to post in the emergency forum
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:12 pm

My humidity stays at 99%, always has, and I've never had an issue with flooding. You can certainly vent your tank if you are concerned. You can also purchase a little fan and use that to help circulate the air out of the tank too. Depending on where you live (I say this because I live in Florida and we have high humidity), the bugs need humidity to survive. More than likely you don't need to be concerned about springtails getting out of your tank. They don't jump that high, and they won't survive if they do get out. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:18 pm

Plasmoc wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:58 pm
I’ve been monitoring closely for flooding and suddenly there bottom was flooded overnight so I had to dig up the crabs in attempt to save them. Luckily none were currently molting.

I removed all 3 hermit crabs & decor & dishes and mixed in mixed in dry EE until sandcastle consistency throughout. I’m a little baffled as it still reads 99% and the tank sides are covers in condensation again. What should I do?

The only moisture that’s added in is when I replace the water dishes and any wet foods (eg raspberries).
What are you using to boost your humidity?
What is your heat source?
If you are using bubblers I suggest buying a gang valve so that you can turn them down.
How wet is your substrate? You should not be able to squeeze any water out of it.
What kind of lid do you have?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 pm

That’s what’s weird, I am not spraying and there’s no bubblers, I don’t understand why it’s still so humid.

The only moisture being added to the tank comes from the standing water dishes (fw & sw) when I clean/refill them and fresh foods.

I have 2 under-tank heaters mounted to the back & side if the tank. Temp is 74-76.

The dry EE got rid of the flooding but it still says 99%, so I don’t understand where all the moisture is coming from.

Is charcoal safe for crabs? Could I use that to absorb moisture & then throw it away?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm

What is the outside temperature of the tank? (The room the tank is in) That is where your condensation is coming from

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Hmmm I hadn’t thought about condensation due to our room temperature. Home is kept around 71-72 degrees.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:50 pm

I’m leaving the tank kid cracked tonight hopefully it’ll help a bit

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

I hope none of the bugs get out😊

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 am

Are you taunting me?

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:53 pm

So far humidity is down to 91% and I’m monitoring for flooding and while I don’t see water at the bottom (doing the knife test), it does look a bit darker than normal I think. Feels about right though.

I gave 2 crabs down still and I hesitate to dig them up again. What do you think?

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Do you have a long straw? I’m sure a knife would work well too, really. As long as you don’t see water building up around where your putting it, you should be ok.