Glue

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
BettaCrew

Glue

Post by BettaCrew » Sat May 04, 2019 11:34 am

I have e6000 glue and gel SuperGlue as my options. The aquarium silicone peels off of the round plastic HEB food storage containers way too easily. I want to add SuperGlue to the lip of the bowl and stick sand to it (like the salt on a margherita rim). Aquarium silicone will be used for the rocks that will be on the walls in the pool. Which is safe to use only on the rim of the bowl....e6000 or SuperGlue. Am I limited to the aquarium silicone since it will be close to the water in the pools but never submerged inside it?

Xenocrab

Re: Glue

Post by Xenocrab » Sat May 04, 2019 11:39 am

I stay away from all glues due to fumes and since crabbies pick at and eat everything, I don't take the chance of poisoning them with glues. I always use silicone and wait a few days to a week for it to dry so they don't get the fumes or stuck to it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 pm

I would not recommend using glue around the crabs, the fumes are toxic to them, you'd have to do that before introducing hermit crabs to your tank.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Sat May 04, 2019 1:09 pm

They currently have a saltwater and freshwater pool in the tank. These would be prepared before they go in with the hermies. I won't be curing anything inside the tank.

Topic author
BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Sat May 04, 2019 1:11 pm

The pools are on the left and right. I use doubled up round plastic food storage containers. Once cured, the top bowl of the pools will be switched out.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 pm

If it was me, I'd use gel. As long as its cyanoacrylate based, it should be fine once cured.

(Spraying the area with water will also increase curing time.... many aquarium hobbyists that use superglue will often submerge the still curing glue as the water helps it to cure faster.)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 4:59 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 pm
If it was me, I'd use gel. As long as its cyanoacrylate based, it should be fine once cured.

(Spraying the area with water will also increase curing time.... many aquarium hobbyists that use superglue will often submerge the still curing glue as the water helps it to cure faster.)

Don't you mean decrease, as in a shorter wait, than increase a longer wait?
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm

odelayheehoo wrote: Don't you mean decrease, as in a shorter wait, than increase a longer wait?
Haha yeah. My bad. ImageImage thanks for the clarification.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm
Haha yeah. My bad. ImageImage thanks for the clarification.

Gotcha :wink:
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Also, just so you know, sometimes it is necessary to use sandpaper on things to get aquarium sealant to stick. When I made the paint trays for my meglopa last year I used sandpaper on them first before applying aquarium sealant so that I could put real sand on them for the bottoms. It worked like a charm. :) Try that :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Plastic doesn't play friendly with most glues, unfortunately. I also think superglue is going to be the best options. The oils in plastic will break the bond with silicon pretty quickly. Just let it air out until you can't smell it, but honestly both are pretty safe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 am

I agree with wodesorel and GotButterflies, silicone doesn't adhere very well to smooth plastic as a cyanocrylate glue like superglue would, that's why it was recommended to possibly sandpaper the area.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Tue May 07, 2019 12:05 pm

Ahhhh....I have some sand paper! Excellent everyone! The ideas are brewing.