I can't understand what is wrong scared and hideing

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabsRock7

I can't understand what is wrong scared and hideing

Post by CrabsRock7 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:40 pm

I have a 55 gallon tank with at least 6" of coconut husk sub straight in all areas, the humidity stays at about 75% and the heat is about 72f. I started with 7 purple pinchers I got on 1/12/19, 3 large, 1 medium,3 smalls. 1 large and 3 smalls went down under the first night, I have never seen the 1 large again, but his shell submerged empty. 1 have only seen 1 of the 3 smalls periodically, and 1 small shell submerged empty? I currently have 1 large down for 2 months and I have 1 Large and 1 med. up. They are very skidish even though I have never mishandled them, hardly handled them at all as I wanted them to get used to me. I have a corner cave at one end of the tank they hide in, when I try to look in there they kick sub straight up to cover the doorway. I feed them a very wide variety of meats, plant protein and fruits and veggies, I supply them with saltwater and fresh water(instant ocean and spring water.... I have to admit, they really are not fun at all, it is like having a large tank of dirt as a pet..... They almost never go to the other side of the tank and seemed scared to venture out. I have many empty shells and hideouts thought-out. I have spent a lot of time and money to assure they have everything and well, they seem miserable and that makes me miserable.... I am thinking about rehoming them to someone that would give them a great home, that maybe will make them happy... any advice would be appreciated.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I can't understand what is wrong scared and hideing

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue May 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Would be possible to upload some pics?

Something I notice is the temp. While PPs do fine at 72F, they are a lot more active and outgoing when the temperature is a little higher. Bumping it up to at least 75F, or better yet, 80F would help.

Another thing I noticed is that you mention you handle them - a little bit. Handling can induce stress, and make them less likely to come out as they would associate you and being the stressors - or not only you, just anything large in front of their tank that moves.

Hermit crabs are naturally nocturnal, are they doing this at night?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm

It sounds like you have everything set up correctly for them. Your temperature is ok but on the cooler side of their range. Perhaps bumping the the temperature up to 80 would help their activity?

I have some crabs that run and hide as soon as they see any movement outside of the tank. Other crabs won't move if I reach down next to them to change out foods. I believe a lot has to do with their personality. Unfortunately some will always run and hide.

I have a 20 G set up with 3 rescues we received late December through January. We call that tank the time warp space portal because we rarely see them out and about. Just in the last two weeks I have seen two of the three come out 8pm or later. Then they are usually hiding by 7am when I get up in the morning.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
CrabsRock7

Post by CrabsRock7 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Thank you! I set up a 10 gallon tank, I was thinking of putting my 2 crabs that are not buried in there so I can see if the others do come out. I thought the heat might be an issue, I have 2 heaters on the back glass about 2" from top of substraight , maybe I need a different heat source? Can you suggest the best heat source for hermit crabs?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed May 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Under tank heaters, mounted on the back or side of the tank, above the substrate level are your best bet. Some are better than others. Many people prefer Ultratherms, and they can be insulated over top to increase the heat further. Personally, I have two on the back and one on each side of my tank!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers