Shell selection

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Shell selection

Post by Scarletfire » Mon May 13, 2019 7:00 pm

I bought a bunch when I found the first store that sold shells... In hindsight... The largest shell I have has an opening of 1.5" and smallest 0.5" (I think I measured it right based on the attached photo..? Not sure). Does that mean whichever crabs I adopt, the big pincher shouldn't be bigger than 1.5"? Should I buy more bigger shells? Not sure how good a selection this is.

(I don't have any crabs yet, but just want to get ready) ImageImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Shell selection

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 13, 2019 7:33 pm

I measure across like this. This shell has a 1-1/8" opening.

It's a lot easier to have the crabs first then order shells for them. The crabs should be ok for a week or so without extras.

Once you have crabs you can measure their shells with them in it. Sometimes they try to be helpful and hold the tape measure for you!

When we order shells we usually get 2 shells 1/8" to 1/4" larger in size for each crab. If you have a few crabs the same size you can order more.

They can be super picky with shells. You can have what appears to be perfect shells and they always pick the one you never would think they would like because it's way too big or too small. Crabs are weird.

Edit: It looks like you have a decent start with the smaller shells. They look like they carry from around 1/2" up to around 3/4". They are usually the most common sized crabs you find.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I think this is a good selection for starters if you don't have your crabs yet. My crabs never wore the top kind of light colored ones (sorry, can't remember what they are called, LOL). They liked those green turbos on the bottom, until Sonny got really big and now he just likes the pearl ones.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 pm

curlysister wrote:I think this is a good selection for starters if you don't have your crabs yet. My crabs never wore the top kind of light colored ones (sorry, can't remember what they are called, LOL). They liked those green turbos on the bottom, until Sonny got really big and now he just likes the pearl ones.
Oof k. Well, the light ones will be great decor then haha. I took a gamble at the time just cause they were much bigger haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm

You never know....those might end up being your crabs' favs! Crabs are funny people sometimes LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 pm

Mine are particularly picky. They will not wear turbos, but will wear Apple murex shells. I put in turbos, no interest. But, take those out and put in Apple murex, and BAM! They check them out. After wearing the new shells, though, the crabs go back to their old shells. Mine also will reject shells that are too thin and go for the ones that are thicker and heavier.