Sick crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Plasmoc

Re: Sick crab

Post by Plasmoc » Mon May 27, 2019 5:33 pm

How long should each bath be I meant. Twice a day for 4 days.. but soak for 10 min? Longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention something important! Take the temp of the medicinal bath! I never go above 72. Get a digital meat thermometer. Take the temp of the tank water. Match that temp with the bath temp. The medicinal bath gets really darn hot very fast and takes forever to cool down. Don't cook the crabby.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue May 28, 2019 3:54 am

Oops cross-post. Thanks for the info I will try to find those ingredients and will research it too.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Tue May 28, 2019 8:39 pm

I was able to get capsules of organic marshmallow root where the capsule is plant derived with no preservatives, salt, sugar, etc. would this be ok to use?

I had to order the rest off amazon, neither organic food store here sells these.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 am

Plasmoc, hello! Sorry you have been suffering through this and didn't get more responses.

I believe he was probably disturbed when he was molting and is now finishing up the process. It does take AWHILE for them to do their thing.

It seems like you're learning a lot and doing mostly everything you can to help this little guy. Good on you!

To answer a few questions,
1. Idk why he has green eyes. That's quite different. I haven't seen that before. Maybe one of the mods has? Perhaps he is partially blind. I would keep an eye on him to see if it corrects itself when he molts again.

2. Will he molt right away again? I wouldn't think so. As long as they can get along, crabs can make do without one leg for awhile.

3. Now that he is moving, I would quit giving him q-tips. It might be more stressful than helpful.

4. When should you be moving him back? I'd wait until he's basically like "let me out!!" If he is lethargic most of the day/night, he is still resting and healing.

5. Honey and bee pollen are wonderful healing foods, but where is the protein?! And are you giving him calcium? Crabs should have protein as the foundation of their diet everyday and calcium readily available always.

Easy protein sources: egg - raw or cooked without any seasonings or salt. Chicken, pork, lean beef, shrimp, scallops, etc. Can all be served raw or cooked without seasonings or salt.

Easy calcium sources: cuttlebone (available near the bird section of pet stores) and egg shells (I like to dry mine in the oven and then break them up). If you give them shrimp with the shell on that has calcium as well.

6. Add turbo shells to the tank. That's the ones that all my crabs prefer and most do. There's a Shell tread for more info on shells.

7. When you see him so far extended like in the picture, are you sure he's eating and not checking out other shells? To me it looks like he is checking out new shells.

I think he will make it. Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed May 29, 2019 10:45 am

Hi thanks so much for your response! I am definitely learning a lot. I’ve responded to some of your questions / comments below:

I believe he was probably disturbed when he was molting and is now finishing up the process. It does take AWHILE for them to do their thing.
- this makes sense because all 3 of my crabs were down at the same tine and the bigger guys came up around the same time he did. Perhaps one of them disturbed him on the way up so he cane up too.

It seems like you're learning a lot and doing mostly everything you can to help this little guy. Good on you!
- thanks I’m trying!

To answer a few questions,
1. Idk why he has green eyes. That's quite different. I haven't seen that before. Maybe one of the mods has? Perhaps he is partially blind. I would keep an eye on him to see if it corrects itself when he molts again.
- I’ll definitely keep an eye on this and let you guys know what happens.

2. Will he molt right away again? I wouldn't think so. As long as they can get along, crabs can make do without one leg for awhile.
-phew!

3. Now that he is moving, I would quit giving him q-tips. It might be more stressful than helpful.
- yep I stopped the q-tips a week or so ago and he has a food dish now along with the mini fw & sw caps. I’ve been giving him baths every other day though I’ll stop that except for the medicinal bath xenocrab posted that I’m gathering supplies to make.

4. When should you be moving him back? I'd wait until he's basically like "let me out!!" If he is lethargic most of the day/night, he is still resting and healing.
- ok thanks, he’s still pretty quiet. Ive noticed he comes out during the day not at night though.

5. Honey and bee pollen are wonderful healing foods, but where is the protein?! And are you giving him calcium? Crabs should have protein as the foundation of their diet everyday and calcium readily available always.
- yes good point! At the very beginning I just did honey & bee pollen for a few days. Now he’s back up to a regular diet in his food dish. Right now he has cornmeal, butterfly pea powder, ground cow bone, a ground fish & fish eggs mix, cuttlebone, honey, bee pollen, green sand, millet, and worm castings.

Easy protein sources: egg - raw or cooked without any seasonings or salt. Chicken, pork, lean beef, shrimp, scallops, etc. Can all be served raw or cooked without seasonings or salt.
- in the past my guys barely touch any of these proteins (I serve them cooked, cold, unseasoned) except shrimp. Is it ok to only offer shrimp and other fish-based proteins? I also offer cheese sometimes which they love.

Easy calcium sources: cuttlebone (available near the bird section of pet stores) and egg shells (I like to dry mine in the oven and then break them up). If you give them shrimp with the shell on that has calcium as well.
- yep I offer these and my guys like ground crab exo too I get off Etsy.

6. Add turbo shells to the tank. That's the ones that all my crabs prefer and most do. There's a Shell tread for more info on shells.
- I’ll buy more turbos thanks!

7. When you see him so far extended like in the picture, are you sure he's eating and not checking out other shells? To me it looks like he is checking out new shells.
- sorry the photo is bad, and it’s a weird angle. he’s actually reaching out over the food dish, the shells are a couple inches away to the side of the food dish.

I think he will make it. Keep us updated.
- hope so thank you!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 29, 2019 10:47 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:32 pm
We got that recipe on this site. I bathe for 2-3 mins based on how the crab reacts. I can't name the medicinal properties of each ingredient off hand, but it's like Neosporin and a protective coating. It's more than that, but it's been a long weekend and my mind is blank. Honey is a healer and so is bee pollen. And they are energy too. If I wasn't so tired, I could tell you more. Research it. Ask for help. Check out the links on this site.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
We actually found the recipe at The Crab Street Journal.

Here is the post from when we first used the bath on a crab with a cracked pincher.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 6&t=119883

Marshmallow Root helps draw out infection and creates a slime coat.
Myrrh is an anti-inflammatory bacterial that is crab safe. Calendula Flowers stimulate the immune system possibly encouraging a quicker molt.
Chamomile reduces inflamation, and helps speed healing.

I always like to say that this bath was never approved or rejected by the HCA. I highly suggest reading all of the information first hand at CSJ so you can follow the fully detailed information.

With our Eddie the only thing I would have changed in his care would be giving him this bath. I believe he died from a bloated abdomen. Perhaps daily baths in this would have helped fight infection and reduce his swelling.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed May 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Motorcrab thanks so much for this information! I read through your thread about Eddie and will read the CSJ article shortly.

I’m currently making the medicine per the recipe and it looks pretty gross lol.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm

And yes after posting this photo I realized I’m making it wrong I’m
Re-making it now.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed May 29, 2019 7:54 pm

New question:

I know the article says don’t get it in the shell because it’s not needed or do it too deep because it’s sticky for their breathing, but I originally made it too deep and when I removed him to pour some out he went crazy trying to climb out of his shell into the bath. See photos.

Is this still too deep?

ImageImage

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:05 pm

Lol! I think it should be fine but you might want to pour a little bit more out.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm

If he's already been dunked too far in the medi bath, what's done is done and just leave it.

If you're worried about it, dunk him in freshwater and return him to the medi bath, but less full.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am

I did a shallower bath this morning he didn’t want to get out after 3 minutes lol.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:17 am

Lol glad he is doing better
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Fri May 31, 2019 11:40 am

Follow up question. The journal & recipe say it’s good for 48 hours refrigerated. I only used half for his bath, could I use the untouched half (refrigerated) for the last 2 days of treatment or do I need to remake it fresh?