Dead crab?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Xenocrab

Dead crab?

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:07 pm

The local pet store gave me a free crab on Saturday, 3 days ago. It hasn't moved in the slightest bit. It doesn't smell. It's tightly in its shell. When I dipped it in salt water, no movement. Can a crab be dead in it's shell and not smell? I mean seriously, no movement at all. I lightly petted it claw and legs, thinking it would twitch. Nothing! It's been sitting undisturbed for 3 days. No smell, no anything.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

doth

Re: Dead crab?

Post by doth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm

when my Scrundles died recently he never gave off a smell, and I waited a couple weeks. though you could be seeing an exoskeleton, maybe he surface molted at the pet store? time will tell I guess. good luck, I hope the little guy makes it!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

I thought it was post pet store trauma, but I don't know what to think now. I don't know what to do. I'll let him sit til he smells bad, I guess. Backstory, I saw him in that tank for over a month. No food, water, 1/4" dry EE and screen lid. I couldn't take it anymore and had to have him. They said they wanted to get rid of him because they've had him for awhile. Hence why he was free. I should not have waited so long, but I'm a "adopt, don't shop" girl. If I would have known it was free, maybe he would be doing better.

doth

Post by doth » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:45 pm

you're giving him the best chance he could've had! if he doesn't make it it's no fault of your own. so many pet store animals get sick and I feel like hermit crabs have it the worst with their humidity requirements & being wild caught.

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 pm

It's been 6 days and the crab hasn't moved at all. Still no smell. I don't know what to think? Any ideas?

doth

Post by doth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:23 pm

you could try giving him a bath for a few minutes to see if that wakes him up. I've heard others have done that for sick crabs. the salt water can help them heal apparently if they are sick. hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here!

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Any updates?
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Still no changes. No smell, no movement. Nothing. I have no idea if he's dead or just stressed. I'm completely baffled. I put him in salt water for 10 mins and he didn't flinch. I've put him in fresh water for 10 mins the next day. Still nothing. I pick him up ever day after work to smell him. No scent. The other crabbies have tried to coax him out and still no sign of life.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Has it been laying limp like that the entire time? I fear it may likely be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

That's the thing, he didn't fall out of his shell like they normally do when they die. He's tight in his shell. I just checked again now. No smell yet. I don't want to bury him until I know for sure he's dead. I think he is, but no smell and he's tight in his shell. I'm not sure what to. It's been 10 days now. do.Image

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:18 pm

I don't know if this is a good idea, but maybe you could get a toothpick or something and move its legs and claws around to see if it moves
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 pm

I’ve seen crabs that were wedged in or in too far to fall out easily. With those I’d grab a leg and pull the whole thing out of the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Eeewwww! I guess that's the only option. I'll try that tomorrow. I'll need tissues because I know I'll cry. I was so hoping I could save him, but I was too late. They had a whole tank of crabs a month ago. I didn't buy any. They were all dead the last time I looked. I still didn't buy the survivors. Now I waited too late and this one didn't make it either. Every time I looked, there were dead bodies everywhere. I wanted to buy, but we always adopt. It's always such a moral dilemma. I go there every week for mice and crickets for my snake and spider. I had them before I went vegan and learned about pet store animals. I always look at the crabs. They always die and they always buy more and more. It breaks my heart.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I found an E that had mummified in its shell once at the store. It looked perfect and was wedged completely tight to where it was not coming out, but it was empty inside.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:47 pm

OMG that's horrible! I wish there was a way to make the sale of hermit crabs illegal.