8 hour trip?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

8 hour trip?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 am

My family might be driving for around 8 hours that will require us to take the hermit crabs with us, and I’m not entirely sure how to take them with me. I was thinking about putting them each in a deli cup with EE and newspaper shreds (since I can’t use moss or hay), putting them all in the KK, or each of them in a flat iso with EE and newspaper shreds, (all of these ) in a mini cooler with hand warmers. Or just take the whole tank. I would like ideas. 🙂
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 8 hour trip?

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:55 am

Are you moving permanently? Is that why you need to take them with you?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:28 am

We have traveled with crabs several times with 3-4 inches of moist EE, no sand in a 10 gallon tank. One trip was mid summer, the other was in January. We did it at both extreme temperatures. The EE holds humidity great with a glass top secured with duct tape. We avoild tall climbing things but you should always have a hide or two, some dried foods, and at least fresh water.

The main thing to remember is this is temporary set up. As long as the tank temperature doesn't drop into the 60's for any period of time I believe they should be ok that way. To help with holding in heat you can cover the tank with blankets. Even better would be if your vehicle has a power inverter. Then you could just plug the UTH directly into that. Just be sure the inverter can handle the amperage of the UTH or else you will pop fuses in the car.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 am

Technically yes, and to answer the questions in the mchat, There are 6 crabs in the tank all around the size of teeny and one or two might be going on to a small, My siblings like to keep the cool air on that the system says is (I think) 68, We have a 20 gallon tank that is probably at least 80 lbs, and we do have one plug in outket that could work, but it is right in front of the place wher the middle seat is. I don't know If I feel comfotable lifting the tank though. Thank you for responding.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:08 pm

None of the crabs are molting?

You should be fine with a small keeper as a temporary move tank, with limited substrate.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:20 pm

well, three of them we got within a week ago, and two of them have probably been destressing (but still come out at night often), but there is one that has probably already molted that I think is molting. The school we are looking at doesn't start until September, so we might not move until then which means we could have moulters :|

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Molters will make the situation tricky unless you can get them into isolation tanks before hand. Otherwise, switching them into a temporary tank like stated above with some EE will work for a an 8 hour trip.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)