Hermit crab “purchase”

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
cnoonan54

Hermit crab “purchase”

Post by cnoonan54 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:04 pm

More like adoption...
Me and my family just “bought” 4 hermit crabs on vacation. They came with “everything” they need, which included some cheap $14.99 cage, some sprinkle food, and directions that if we made sure the sponge was always wet, they would be just fine.
Holy. Crap.
Just a heads up-I’m an animal lover. All animals. The kind of person who lets spiders out of my home before I kill them.
I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I figured the people/store selling them would be knowable, and give us the correct information.

So now I’m at home, with 4 PAINTED SHELL crabs, in two tiny tanks with gravel at the bottom 😔

After reading up on this, my husband is at the Pet store now...any advice?? I really don’t want to harm these animals because of some stupid store telling me it was ok to do...I’m actually furious that they are allowed to make sales!!

I’m going to email the company that ships them to Missouri, and let them know how horrible of a business this is. The lady I bought them from told me they order 300 crabs with painted shells every other day. Sick 😔

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crab “purchase”

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Here's the basics, for reference at the pet store:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 0&t=119273
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers