New Crabbers [emoji886]

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Sarahlynnrn

New Crabbers [emoji886]

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi All.
Like I’ve read about quite a few, we had no idea what we were getting into. My 4 year old spent the day at the beach with Grandma and Grandpa doing all things crab Image. He came home, much like other visits to their beach house pronouncing his love of crabs and asked if we could keep one as a pet. Thinking the tiny little things could surely not be much harder than a fish, I agreed Image.
My husband tackled the Petsmart trip and came home with a critter keeper, calcium sand, and a small little purple pincher.
I’m so glad I found this website! In the course of a week, I’ve learned so much, and we have upgraded—twice. We’re now proud owners of a 20 gallon, a second crab, and a new found addiction. I’ve switched our sand to the appropriate 5:1 ratio, already gone from a zoomed to ultratherm heater, and Imagecrab mesh climbers. My husband thinks I might have lost it.
My crafty self loved all the crabitats I’ve been seeing. So my four year old and I took to the zip ties to make crabby climbers, I broke out the old friendship bracelet weave for some new bridges. We still are definitely a work in progress, but hope to really have this thing awesome soon. So far the little dudes have a climbing wall, second level, and moss pit.

We have 2 purple pinchers (one in an unfortunate painted shell) Sandy & Shelly.

A couple of questions

Can we use driftwood from the beach if rinsed and baked?
Any tricks on dispelling condensation all the time?
Normal not to really eat shortly after purchase? We have some gourmet meals in order from the Healthy Hermit, trying all things fresh in the mean time, only have been able to notice some bits of blueberries missing.
Any ways to encourage shell transfer to get rid of the painted one? ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: New Crabbers [emoji886]

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:27 am

Welcome! It looks great! They eat such tiny bits it's hardly noticable. Just make sure you are also providing protein and calcium daily. They do need the humidity so you will have condensation at times. If it's constant and dripping down the sides you have to watch for possible flooding. As for changing shells, as long as you provide 3-5 shells per crab, and there are right and wrong shells, eventually they should change. Dipping the shells in saltwater makes the more appealing.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Sarahlynnrn

Post by Sarahlynnrn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 am

Thank you! I’ve had rotating proteins in—egg, steak, quinoa, and almonds. Also crushed up egg shell and fresh caught Dungeness crab shell for calcium.
The condensation is constant, I’ve seen the advice to be wary of flooding, but not much on any solutions. Anything to do to thwart it?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am

Sarahlynnrn wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:50 am
Thank you! I’ve had rotating proteins in—egg, steak, quinoa, and almonds. Also crushed up egg shell and fresh caught Dungeness crab shell for calcium.
The condensation is constant, I’ve seen the advice to be wary of flooding, but not much on any solutions. Anything to do to thwart it?
Some people open the lid for a little while but that's a temporary solution. I'm sure someone with more experience can give you some ideas.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi