Bacteria bloom

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Cottman26

Bacteria bloom

Post by Cottman26 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 am

Hi, my crabs carried off some food and I guess because of the humidity it started some mold. Do I have to take out all the substrate? What else should I do?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Bacteria bloom

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:48 am

Mold isn't harmful to the crabs. If you are allergic to it then just scrape off the mold. Is the mold on the surface? Do you think it could be a bacterial bloom instead?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Mold isn’t a bacterial bloom. :) Bacterial blooms are caused by the build up of anaerobic bacteria in the bottom of the substrate. You can just remove the mold yourself, it’s not harmful to the crabs but can be for humans.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Cottman26

Post by Cottman26 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 pm

It's like a white fuzz on the surface. I removed it, we'll see if it comes back I guess. Also, ive had the 5 crabs we own in a much larger tank with deeper substrate for about a month now and since we put them in there we rarely see any of them. 2 of them I havent seen since the 1stday we moved them over. There's evidence of moving and digging at night. Is this all i reallyhave to look forward to with them? My kids are already bored with them.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Crabs are mostly nocturnal. And a hands off pet. Alot of us have installed a camera in our tanks so we can watch their nighttime antics.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 pm

If you mix your substrate with salt water initially it will help prevent mold. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

ThatMamaDawn

Post by ThatMamaDawn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Cottman26 wrote:Also, ive had the 5 crabs we own in a much larger tank with deeper substrate for about a month now and since we put them in there we rarely see any of them. 2 of them I havent seen since the 1stday we moved them over.
If the substrate wasn’t as deep erode as it is now, they may have went down for a moly right away. Mine did the same thing and where gone for about almost 2 months. In just the last 2 weeks I’ve seen activity in the surface of my tank. They don’t stay under dirt forever. Just be patient with them.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mama of 4 PP’s: Crabby, Hermie, Mr. Crabs, & Squidward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk