Need a home within 1 month(London, UK)

Please create a new topic about your hermit crab(s) needing rehomed. Topic titles must start with city and state.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
Chris1234

Need a home within 1 month(London, UK)

Post by Chris1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:34 pm

I currently have 3 hermit crabs and have had the oldest one for over 9 years now. I am moving to the US next year for university and it would be very challenging to continue taking care of them. My parents would not be able to properly take care of them. While this is difficult to do, the best option would be to give them away while I'm still in the UK(until early August). Would anyone here be able to take them? If not, could you put me in touch with any experienced hermit crab owners around London who might be willing to? I would give all the supplies I have accumulated over the years to anyone who agrees. I have already tried to join the hermit crab UK facebook and contact Crabby Cravings. I have not heard back in nearly 2 weeks, so I assume they are inactive.

-Chris

Topic author
Chris1234

Re: Need a home within 1 month(London, UK)

Post by Chris1234 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Can anyone help me with this? I don't have much time and will otherwise try to take them with me to the U.S.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Chris1234 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Can anyone help me with this? I don't have much time and will otherwise try to take them with me to the U.S.
I've pmed you with contact info for someone!

JenniferRallison

Post by JenniferRallison » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Would you be able to ship the crabs? We live in North Carolina and would love to take them in!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:18 am

JenniferRallison wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm
Would you be able to ship the crabs? We live in North Carolina and would love to take them in!
You can't ship any animals overseas due to strict regulations. Being caught could potentially mean jail time, fines, and the animals being destroyed.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

JenniferRallison

Post by JenniferRallison » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:00 am

Oh I did not know that! I certainly wouldn’t ask you to do that. Sorry I couldn’t help, hope you find them a good home! Good luck

Topic author
Chris1234

Post by Chris1234 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:16 am

Just to let everyone know, someone in the UK contacted me a couple days before my flight and picked up the hermit crabs. I have a couple of smaller tanks and supplies that were packed and shipped before I knew I would be giving them away in London. I'll bring the guy who adopted my shells and decorations next time I visit, but if anyone wants the rest let me know. Regarding motorcrab's statement, I had no issue when I brought the crabs with me to the UK a couple years ago and received permission from security and a written letter from UK customs. When I called the US customs for my return flight last month, they simply said there is no regulation on hermit crabs and I should be fine. It would have been more risky because they gave me nothing to back it up. I wouldn't have shipped the hermit crabs separately overseas because it's dangerous, as motorcrab's said, but I could have taken them on the plane with me. I learned that the regulations on animals are generally for larger animals that could carry diseases or non native animals. You would have to outsource the work to another company, like I did with my cats. They took a separate flight and the company managed the legal work. Just wanted to update everyone and hope this helps people in the future!