Temp ranges and times for rescue flight--urgent!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
DragonsFly

Temp ranges and times for rescue flight--urgent!

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:03 am

Trying to get a rescue flight to bring my crabs to Florida; pilot says at altitude they will be at 55-60 degrees for three hours at a time (I think for two "hops," so twice in one day). They will be sealed in a 18 x 18 x 18 inch box (inside Glad containers with damp moss), with 6 inches of crumpled paper insulation on all sides. Will that be survivable, or too much risk?

Only alternative is shipping through mail; no idea what the conditions are likely to be as FedEx (or other carrier) flies them???
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Re: Temp ranges and times for rescue flight--urgent!

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:33 am

Note that, in between "hops," the box will be at temps around 90 degrees for a period of time as pilot refuels.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm

The insulation of the boxes will help maintain temps. As would using a couple of hand warmers to keep the temp up. IMO. They should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't want to use hand warmers since they will be at 90 degree (F) temps for some time before, during, and after the 3-hour hops. What do you think?

― G.K. Chesterton

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:19 am

DragonsFly wrote:I don't want to use hand warmers since they will be at 90 degree (F) temps for some time before, during, and after the 3-hour hops. What do you think?
Think of them like a UTH, they run hot, but less than a couple of inches away the temperate drops quickly.

(UTH can run over 100F, yet a couple of inches away it's in the high 80s, and a few more from that, its low 80s/high 70s.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies