Lighter weight shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Scarletfire

Lighter weight shells

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:25 am

Is there a preferred lighter shell type you want to get for recently adopted crabs ? Is come to my attention that the green turbo shells may be too heavy for one coming out of bad conditions.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lighter weight shells

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am

When my crabs were smaller, they really liked the Babylon shells (but I haven't found them large enough for my crabs now). They also used some that I think were called Tiger Moon? Now that he is big, Sonny prefers the polished or pearl Turbos, which are quite a bit lighter than the green Turbos. Cher was wearing tapestry Turbos for a while, but now she's in one of Sonny's old pearl Turbos.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:09 pm

I tried several lighter shells looking quite similar to green turbos, but mine were not interested. However, this might be different for a crab like yours (not sure on how a weak crab reacts: does it want a lighter shell as it's easier to carry, or still a relatively heavy one for even extra protection?),

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm

A crab goes naked because it is too weak to carry it's shell. So a lighter shell is better for a crab in a weakened state.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Curly, Aside from online stores which usually have expensive shipping, how do you get shells?

(I think you're in winnipeg, Canada...so anywhrre you go to may be applicable for me )

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Unfortunately, I have not found any local stores to purchase shells. I'm about 3 hours from Winnnipeg, Brandon is my closest city an hour away. I have always ordered my shells online, and always from the US. When I vacation in the States, I have crab food and supplies and shells shipped to where I am staying. The shells in the sizes I need now are 12-15 each. Add shipping and the conversion from US to Canadian funds, and it's a bit excessive. But I just sigh and pay it, LOL.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 am

Striped turbos, aka fluctuosus or Mexican, tend to be good for recuperating crabs. They are the right shape and also lightweight.

For smaller crabs (under one inch) turbo reevie, babylonia japonica, tiger moon shells, and shark/whale eye shells (the lighter thinner one, places sell them interchangeably) are often used. There are small green turbos that are thin and light as well.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm

My crabs tend to prefer heavier medium sized shells like Apple Murex. I do offer turbos, but the crabs go for the heavier shells.