2 Crabs from Boardwalk... Temp Tank... 1 Molting... Thoughts/Advice Appreciated!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Hermiesguardian

Re: 2 Crabs from Boardwalk... Temp Tank... 1 Molting... Thoughts/Advice Appreciated!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Kydra wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm
Thanks, the contact lens seems to be working well. Kraken (PP) in 10 gallon just changed out of his painted shell. Wow. It has paint chips and a crack where the "lip" of the shell is. I just boiled it, but since he finally picked a new shell out of about 20 should I leave it in there? Just feeling he might not be comfy in the new one, but would rather him not go back. Idk?

And my E is still buried in the 5 gallon molting... I hope.
Throw it out. It's toxic for them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kydra

Re: 2 Crabs from Boardwalk... Temp Tank... 1 Molting... Thoughts/Advice Appreciated!

Post by Kydra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Throw it out. It's toxic for them.
I did just take it out, but the painted shell has more of a D opening and spirals up a bit which I also have a few of. He hasn't really seemed interested in switching, but did tonight. The shell he is now in has more of a round opening (pretty sure some kinda turbo) with the spiral more to the side rather than going up. Maybe overthinking this. Maybe didn't ID him correctly as I went off memory, but just took a pic in new shell and I'm not sure anymore lol. The painted shell has been removed though. Thank you!

Edit: Was just overthinking. Turbo is fine. He's def a PP. Now if my E can hurry it up and survive this cause he needs a friend lol.

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:45 pm

One more question since this was a small E and I'm going on week two this Tuesday and want to be prepared.

For those that haven't followed... Purchased 2 hermit crabs on boardwalk, were in temp 5 gallon tank with 3" of EE until I got home, per advice here I setup a proper 10 gallon crabitat for the two with everything they need and more and moved the PP over while the E is molting in a now bare bones 5 gallon tank in 3" of EE.

When he does come up after molting, am I immediately moving him to the 10 gallon? There's not much left in the 5 gallon but some food and two small water bowls + a few shells I left in there. Thoughts? Thanks!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 pm

Yes, you can move him over pretty much right away, IMO. You will want to dip him in the water from the new tank, so he doesn't smell like an 'outsider'. Keep in mind that E's need deeper sub than PP's, many people recommend 10 or more inches.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:43 pm
Yes, you can move him over pretty much right away, IMO. You will want to dip him in the water from the new tank, so he doesn't smell like an 'outsider'. Keep in mind that E's need deeper sub than PP's, many people recommend 10 or more inches.
Thanks! Yeah I read that. I will ID him for sure when he comes up as my ID is based on memory mostly. I'm already thinking about upgrading anyway from the 10 gallon but waiting until he, hopefully, is up healthy then going to try to give it a few months. Petco had a dollar a gallon and after putting in 6"+ of sub I realized should have gone bigger. Next time lol.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

Hahaha, everybody wants a bigger tank as soon as we get our upgrade set up! I went from 10 to 20 to 55....and have been jealous of people's 75 gallon tanks!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 pm

curlysister wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm
Hahaha, everybody wants a bigger tank as soon as we get our upgrade set up! I went from 10 to 20 to 55....and have been jealous of people's 75 gallon tanks!
I have a 90 gallon and it's not big enough. Lol. I'm holding out for 200 or larger.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Ooooo, 200 gallons.....swoons....

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 am

Haha so true. At first a ten gallon seemed plenty... Add substrate, shells, hideouts, climby stuff, two water sources and it's already crowded. Should have listened the first time to go bigger ha.

Of course thinking about more too lol. I'm too old for this 😂. Getting yelled at by my fiance for being obsessed with crustaceans lol. Keep in mind that I just had my last pet (a ferret) put to sleep recently so these are my new buddies.

Yeah, people think I'm crazy.