New crab owner substrate question: adding salt instead of saltwater?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Pringles

New crab owner substrate question: adding salt instead of saltwater?

Post by Pringles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:22 am

Hi.
Have followed using fine sand and fine coconut fibre substrate. The coconut fibre came abit damp but it has been washed and cleaned (made for reptiles so its safe we get it freshly grounded here).

So after mixing it with sand the substrate has already become sand castle consistency. I read that i have to add some saltwater to it so it helps prevent mold. But i fear if i do this the substrate would be too wet. Could i actually use a small amount of instant ocean and mix it into the substrate instead?

The reason is I live in a tropical environment that stays at 80% humidity so the substrate would not dry out as quickly so i do not want it too wet or be susceptable to mold.

Please advise
Last edited by Pringles on Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Pringles

Re: New crab owner substrate question with adding saltwater to it

Post by Pringles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:22 am

Just want to add im getting the tank ready for 3 strawberries

PinchersAndShells

Re: New crab owner substrate question: adding salt instead of saltwater?

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:21 am

I wouldn’t, someone did this a few years ago and it actually burned the crabbies because you can’t really make sure you get the proper dilution of substrate + water to salt. I would say you can maybe leave the lid off for a few days (if you can wait) so it dries back up and you can mist with saltwater until it’s sandcastle consistency again. You aren’t required to mix with MSW it’s just helpful.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Pringles

Post by Pringles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:36 am

Ok thank you so much for replying will do that then.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm

If you need to dry it out, you could also put a fan on into the tank (as long as no crabs are in it)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Pringles

Post by Pringles » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm
If you need to dry it out, you could also put a fan on into the tank (as long as no crabs are in it)
Thank you for the info :) . Crabs arrived before it could dry out so i have left it. Will moisten it with saltwater solution as suggested when it starts to dry.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 pm

If your substrate is at sandcastle consistency already - you really shouldn't ever have to remoisten it :) Lid should be covered - I personally prefer glass as it helps keep the moisture in - although UVB doesn't go through glass - and straws need UVB (Please make sure you provide this for them). If you have a mesh (metal) lid you can cover it with press n seal, plastic wrap or ziploc bags taped to the top. Just don't set a light on top of those areas. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:21 am
I wouldn’t, someone did this a few years ago and it actually burned the crabbies because you can’t really make sure you get the proper dilution of substrate + water to salt. I would say you can maybe leave the lid off for a few days (if you can wait) so it dries back up and you can mist with saltwater until it’s sandcastle consistency again. You aren’t required to mix with MSW it’s just helpful.
Me.

I do not recommend it! Wait until it dries out a bit, and remix with saltwater if you want to have it for mold and mildew control. If you have a safe temporary place for the crabs, you can stick a fan on the tank and it'll dry out quick!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Pringles

Post by Pringles » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:02 pm
If your substrate is at sandcastle consistency already - you really shouldn't ever have to remoisten it :) Lid should be covered - I personally prefer glass as it helps keep the moisture in - although UVB doesn't go through glass - and straws need UVB (Please make sure you provide this for them). If you have a mesh (metal) lid you can cover it with press n seal, plastic wrap or ziploc bags taped to the top. Just don't set a light on top of those areas. :)
Yes have got a uvb light for them with a mesh lid. I live in malaysia so humidity isnt a problem 😀 Thank you so much tho for all the quick responses.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:56 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:37 am
Me.

I do not recommend it! Wait until it dries out a bit, and remix with saltwater if you want to have it for mold and mildew control. If you have a safe temporary place for the crabs, you can stick a fan on the tank and it'll dry out quick!
I wasn’t sure if you were okay with me saying it was you, sorry about that!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:50 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:56 am
I wasn’t sure if you were okay with me saying it was you, sorry about that!
It's fine! I try to own up to the stupid stuff I've done, and if someone else can learn from and avoid the same problem, then it makes it worth it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram