How often do you buy new shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

How often do you buy new shells?

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:43 am

Omg these things are growing like weeds! I just bought a bunch of new shells but I feel like they could even use a few more now! Very gratifying to see but also ever so slightly worrying since all 5 of my 'kids' are already on the large size! They're gonna need their own room pretty soon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

anderik1

Re: How often do you buy new shells?

Post by anderik1 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:15 pm

I don't quite have the answer to your question, but have a related one for you in return. Where do you find is best to buy new shells? I'm a new crabber but think I need some new ones for my crab.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I have ordered from Naples Sea Shells. It's getting so expensive now that Sonny and Cher are getting so big!

To answer how often, I order when I know I am going to be in the US so shipping isn't so horrible!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:48 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:43 am
Omg these things are growing like weeds! I just bought a bunch of new shells but I feel like they could even use a few more now! Very gratifying to see but also ever so slightly worrying since all 5 of my 'kids' are already on the large size! They're gonna need their own room pretty soon!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Just wait until they want to borrow your car and want to wear only name brand shells!

We seem to go in spurts with buying shells. Usually every 2-3 months. The last time we purchased shells was about a month ago at Crab Con. I forget what store was there but they had incredible deals (about 60-70% of the retail price) on shells plus no shipping. We were in desperate need of 1-1/4 to 1-3/8 openings so we loaded up on them and some larger ones too.

Our crabs range from babies in shells with 1/8 or 3/16" openings to Piggy that is in about a 1-1/2" opening. We have a great selection from maybe 3/8 to 1-1/8 openings so they get the crab me down shells from the bigger ones. The babies we will need to search for more sizes and varieties but small shells are at least cheap.

I know someone mentioned before about using the Buy, Sell, Trade area to exchange shells and other items with members. I know a lot of people accidentally order wrong sizes all the time. It would be a good way to try a recoup your loss with someone that did the same thing. I personally wouldn't trade with someone that is a new member with a handful of posts. Someone that has been on here for several months or years I would trust more.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 pm

We usually bought ("bought" as we rehome our crabs soon) shells in bulk - if we found some that were somewhat bigger up to what we would expect to fit in about one year, we bought them.
Sources: aquarium shops (we have a nice tiny aquarium shop near our current place, selling green turbo as tank decoration), sometimes shops at the beach/ during vacations, also shops selling minerals often have shells (but take care that the shells are not dyed/painted, sometimes they call them "polished" and indeed it's gloss).

We had never ordered shells online so far, as we were never in need - as a collector of shells and minerals/stones I hang out enough in those stores to also pick up enough for the crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:55 pm

I've bought shells three times in 10 years. If you get a selection of different sizes there's no need to keep buying more.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Wherever I go, I take a look to see if they sell shells, mainly because shipping from Naples is super expensive! It makes up about once a month to every other month that I buy shells. Most recently, it's to look for lighter shells.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Every time I go to the beach I end up going to the shell shop. I'm a shell hoarder for my personal colony :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I'm a shell hoarder for my personal colony :)
Ah okay that's what it's called. I realized I was one too when I picked d up some more this week.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:13 pm
Ah okay that's what it's called. I realized I was one too when I picked d up some more this week.

;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:02 pm

What if they bury 3/4 of the shells you so graciously put in there for them? Will they use those? Or do I need to keep supplying them with more shells to bury?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:What if they bury 3/4 of the shells you so graciously put in there for them? Will they use those? Or do I need to keep supplying them with more shells to bury?
This is a really great question that im always wondering!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot