Humidity Low in Larger Tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

RiNiKy506

Re: Humidity Low in Larger Tank

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Nice! That ended up working out very well. Hope your humidity stays good for you.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
Who♡Fearless♡Crimson♡LittleBit

dana79h

Post by dana79h » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:14 pm

craboloading wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm
I second this. I'm only working with a 10 gallon aquarium & initially had problems keeping the humidity up. I had a small part of the screen lid not covered with plastic wrap. I thought it was no biggie and the air flow would probably be good/keep me aware of any stinkiness. Opted to cover it up to see how the humidity was effected & pretty instantly was rewarded with stable humidity in the 80-85% range.

Maybe adding a moss pit would help you too though, if you don't already have one. :)
OMG, you guys are geniuses!!! I have been having issues keeping the humidity up in my 20gal long. Searched this page high and low and came across this thread. My glass lid left a small ¼ or so inch gap in the back... I didn’t think it was a problem... Covered the gap with Seran wrap and INSTANTLY saw a change in the humidity!! Mind blown.
Just wanted to thank you all for that amazing advice!!!

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Okay, but remember that they DO need air exchange. I fix that by making at least one of my water sources bubble pools (they either both are, or the MSW pool is a bubble pool and the fresh water source is a fountain); that way there is fresh air regularly moving into the tank, but it comes up through water so it's less likely to cause problems with humidity. I put the pump on a timer so I can adjust how often it is on or off and fine-tune the humidity that way.

Speaking of increasing humidity: there is NOTHING like a fountain for that! Moving water makes an amazing increase in humidity.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 pm

DragonsFly wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:43 pm
Okay, but remember that they DO need air exchange. I fix that by making at least one of my water sources bubble pools (they either both are, or the MSW pool is a bubble pool and the fresh water source is a fountain); that way there is fresh air regularly moving into the tank, but it comes up through water so it's less likely to cause problems with humidity. I put the pump on a timer so I can adjust how often it is on or off and fine-tune the humidity that way.

Speaking of increasing humidity: there is NOTHING like a fountain for that! Moving water makes an amazing increase in humidity.
They get air exchange when changing out their food, even if it's every 2-3 days.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Lizs2587

Post by Lizs2587 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:58 am

DragonsFly wrote:Okay, but remember that they DO need air exchange. I fix that by making at least one of my water sources bubble pools (they either both are, or the MSW pool is a bubble pool and the fresh water source is a fountain); that way there is fresh air regularly moving into the tank, but it comes up through water so it's less likely to cause problems with humidity. I put the pump on a timer so I can adjust how often it is on or off and fine-tune the humidity that way.

What kind of fountain do you have? Is it DIY or did you buy it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am

My favorite one is just a tabletop fountain I found at a flea market. I did make one, too, for my MSW pool at one point, but that one turned out to be more trouble than it was worth.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:45 pm
They get air exchange when changing out their food, even if it's every 2-3 days.
Yeah, I may be over-conscientious about that, but to me, I like to have fresh air coming in for them at ground level on a regular basis. Air movement, too, is such an ever-present thing in nature (especially on tropical islands!) that I expect it is more important to their overall well-being than we may suspect.

― G.K. Chesterton