1-Year Crab Owner, New Member: My Hermit Crab Story!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
DevilNDisguise

1-Year Crab Owner, New Member: My Hermit Crab Story!

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello, fellow hermit crab enthusiasts! I've owned hermit crabs for about 1 year and 3 months, but only joined the site yesterday, so I figured I'd give a bit of an introduction. :)

I've come across this site plenty of times while doing research and finally decided to join the community. May as well, considering I'm always here, anyway! Especially during this time, as I'm currently prepping a 75g upgrade, from their current 20g long. (I'm out of work sick today and have spent most of the day reading different threads on here. :D )

My girlfriend and I knew we wanted to get hermit crabs and took a trip last year to Hampton Beach in order to buy shells, coral, and other material to start off with, but ultimately fell victim to the beach shops where hermit crabs cling to rusty cages, with no food or water provided. We didn't want to help the businesses, but also knew the slim chances of all of these poor things making it out alive or even going to decent homes, so we purchased three of them. We later found another one in a painted shell floating in the ocean. That one was missing two or three legs, so was a bit clumsy, but she got around regardless. One of the ones we purchased was also missing a leg or two.

Given the fact that we weren't fully prepared, we let them enjoy the sand and tide pools for a bit, also offering them fresh fruit we bought at the shops, before going home and temporarily setting them up in a 10g. Within the week we transferred them to my spare 20g long that my beardie had lived in when he was small, but unfortunately one of the crabs we bought from the shop didn't make it very long after the move.

Since then, we've rescued a few more (whether from customers surrendering theirs to the pet store I work at, to my friends not being able to care for theirs anymore), and thus it's officially time for an upgrade. So far we've only got the substrate in and a glass lid on top, so we've still got quite a ways to go before it's even close to being ready for them. But who knew owning hermit crabs would be such a wild adventure? I'm very happy to have them and am super excited to get to know this site and the other members more.

I've grown to be very passionate about these little creatures, so to see a site full of others just the same is thrilling. :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Hermiesguardian

Re: 1-Year Crab Owner, New Member: My Hermit Crab Story!

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Welcome to the addictive world of crabbing!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm

Welcome! You found one floating in the ocean!? That is crazy, poor little one. So sweet of you to take him in and give him a chance at a good life. Someone must have tried to let it go free? They truly are such amazing little creatures.

Topic author
DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:01 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 pm
Welcome to the addictive world of crabbing!
Thank you! :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:03 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm
Welcome! You found one floating in the ocean!? That is crazy, poor little one. So sweet of you to take him in and give him a chance at a good life. Someone must have tried to let it go free? They truly are such amazing little creatures.
Yes! :( Just in time too. She was clinging to life and wasn't very active at first. We suspected it was probably someone thinking they were doing her good by buying and then releasing her.
I'm glad we came across her in time, but horrendous to wonder how many others suffer a similar fate, but aren't caught in time.

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm

how many do you have, and what are your names?
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Topic author
DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:23 pm

purplepincher wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:48 pm
how many do you have, and what are your names?
Penny, Pincher, Legless, Pika, Almond, Salem, Lil Guy, and a few nameless ones. I don't have an exact head count, but I've rescued quite a few along the way. Hence the upgrade, haha. :)

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 am

im so happy for you! you should name one after you, like junior or something!!!
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 am

Welcome to the HCA!!! :clap:

:crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 am
Welcome to the HCA!!! :clap:

:crabbigsmile: :crabblush:
Thanks! :crabbigsmile: