Indonesian

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Indonesian

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am

Out of pure curiosity, where would you guys would say to be the best place to look for Indonesian hermit crabs? I know they're among the more elusive bunch of crabs to find, but I'd still like some opinions

soilentgringa

Re: Indonesian

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:30 am

Adopt if available.

If you are in the U.S. there is no way to get
them unless you order them from an overseas vendor, which I personally would never endorse or recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am

There indeed is no way to find this species commonly in a local store, but some people still own indos in the states, they may have come from a previous owner in which they adopted out, but who knows how the previous owner may have obtained them?
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Overmountain1

Indonesian

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm

I was lucky enough to adopt my pretty guy, and it really is incredibly rare for any store to have them. As I understand it, some exotic pet shops will get them in either on their own or specifically for someone occasionally, which is where my guy cane from originally. I am having a very hard time finding him a species friend though, so whatever you get, if you have the option to get two from the start, I would. He is more aggressive than some of my other PPs, but not so bad they can’t co-exist of course. He’s just kinda grumpy sometimes lol. Here’s Mr EnDoh!
Edit; (And, if you can adopt, or course this is always best, I can’t argue there. And I wouldn’t be a responsible crabby mom if I didn’t ask; if you DO find a single Indo, even knowing you’d also like one, would you please consider letting Mr EnDoh have a species friend? Thanks for considering him. Image)
ImageImage

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 am

My Indo was given to me. His previous owner had a lot of exotics and decided to get out of the hermit crab hobby. She only had one Indo though. I do wish he had a gf!

Edit: I haven't officially sexed him yet, I just assumed it is a male! I probably should look! One of these days!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am

How can you tell the difference between an indo and a pp? To me, these look like pp's.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:10 am

GotButterflies wrote:My Indo was given to me. His previous owner had a lot of exotics and decided to get out of the hermit crab hobby. She only had one Indo though. I do wish he had a gf!

Edit: I haven't officially sexed him yet, I just assumed it is a male! I probably should look! One of these days!
Awww! I haven’t sexed mine yet either. I call ‘him’ Mr but really it’s still a guess. I know neither of us would want to get rid of our Indo, but if I/we can’t ever find another I might consider letting mine come live with you; I want to do what is best for the crabs in the end after all! If I do come to find out which sex mine is, I’ll let you know- if we do have a pair I’d almost def let them be together just bc. Idk, something for us to consider if you agree! I love my Indo and I want to keep him for many years to come and watch him grow etc but. I want him happy while he’s doing it too. Image

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am
How can you tell the difference between an indo and a pp? To me, these look like pp's.
Indos have a slightly different eye shape and their big pincher is shaped differently! It’s much smoother in comparison to other species, IMO. A quick Google search of “Indonesian hermit crab big pincher” will show you what I mean!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:44 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:43 pm
Indos have a slightly different eye shape and their big pincher is shaped differently! It’s much smoother in comparison to other species, IMO. A quick Google search of “Indonesian hermit crab big pincher” will show you what I mean!
Thank you.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:56 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am
They have rounded eyes, and their big claw is substantially larger than a PPs. Their color and markings can be very similar though.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 am

wodesorel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:56 am
They have rounded eyes, and their big claw is substantially larger than a PPs. Their color and markings can be very similar though.
Thank you. I really couldn't find any pics of them online. No real reason though. I can assume mine are pp's right?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 am
Thank you. I really couldn't find any pics of them online. No real reason though. I can assume mine are pp's right?

Definitely assume they are PPs. Indos have always been an exceptionally rare find in the US. Even if you were to stumble onto a surprise exotic someday, it is much much more likely to be a Ruggie or Viola than an Indo!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram