What to add In A Crab Tank?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
DinkDonk

What to add In A Crab Tank?

Post by DinkDonk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi all, right now I have my crab tank basically set up with essential and important things, although I think it is a little bit Bland, and I don't think my crabs come out very much because of it. Right now in it I have a thermometer, hygrometer, plastic Bowl Hut, extra shells, and 2 water basins, one RO water, and one dechlorinated RO water with instant ocean. And of course, Fresh Foods such as apples, pears, organic shiitake mushrooms, cucumbers, all that kind of stuff, and soon meal worms! Does anyone have any good tips or recommendations for spicing up the crab tank? I am looking for perhaps ways come make it look more Lively and exciting for me and My crabs.

I also have some questions for it as well, such as are plastic plants could work? Do I have to boil or treat or freeze plastic plants in order to render them safe? How does one make 2nd floor? Do I have to use a plastic shower caddy? Is there a DIY hamster wheel or climbing toys and whatnot that I can build or supply for them? What kind of decorations or toys do they like to play with, and whatnot!

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my carrier pigeon using Tapatalk

Last edited by DinkDonk on Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What to add In A Crab Tank?

Post by curlysister » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:50 am

A couple of late night suggestions from me.

If you use RO water, you don't need to dechlor it.

Definitely get some plastic plants! But don't spend a lot because the crabs can rip them apart, LOL. I clean mine with half-strength vinegar and water, then rinse with my RO water.

Check out the 'photos' section for some ideas for a second floor and tank ideas. I never could get a shower caddy to hold up with suction cups. Motor and Xeno have built some cool little boxes (and other stuff) with plastic canvas for putting popcorn in. There are definitely hamster wheels from Wal Mart that people have used. Netting or crochet hammocks, etc are also popular!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:30 am

The picture and DIY section are great for ideas. I don't think I have ever had an original idea yet. I just see what others have done and try to duplicate. Stuff to climb is good. If you are looking to go low cost check the safe food list for types of wood and find and bake a branch and/or some leaves. I believe 275 for 20 minutes is the recommendation, use the search feature about baking to double check that. Someone please correct it if you know off the top of your head.

Popsicle sticks are fairly inexpensive and you can make a lot of things burlap and twine are I fairly cheap and good for crafting. Craft mesh and zip ties are fairly inexpensive and the possibilities are endless
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am

I like looking at the fish and reptile sections for nice pieces of wood for climbing, there’s also places you can buy wood online like NEHERP and Josh’s frogs. Plastic plants are great! I find they hold up much longer than silk plants. You can also buy shower caddies to create second levels for the crabs to explore, I keep about 3/4 of my crabs shells up in one, and put moss in the other (it’s a popular sleeping spot!) You could also modify baskets to hang them, but I haven’t personally done this so I don’t want to give you incorrect advice. The hamster wheel is a very popular addition, you’ll want to buy a Silent Spinner or a Comfort Wheel and then drill or melt holes in it to attach craft mesh with zip ties (increases the area they can grip onto). There’s a few threads on how to build one on here!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:00 am

These are some great suggestions, thank you for your input everyone! I will be looking forward to trying to add a new plants and climb and materials for my little boys, since all they kind of do is sit in their Hut all day and just walk around on the sand. I like especially the idea of popsicle sticks and natural twine, perhaps I will be looking around and forging materials for them! I already gathered oak leaves and branches for them, and I will be trying to find time for me to boil some shells and other decorations for them, as well as baking the oak leaves and sticks, thanks for your idea Moe!

Sent from my carrier pigeon using Tapatalk
Happy crabber since 11.27.19 with Hermes, Orpheus and Shellbert