Parakeet #2

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Parakeet #2

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 am

Hello! I just added another parakeet to my home yesterday, and I have some questions about her. She appears to have runny dark colored poop, she doesn't act sick otherwise. Her feathers are perfectly kept and she seems well other than the runny poop. Is there something special I can do to help her? ***BIRD POOP IMAGES AHEAD*** There are some of her little poops from last night, and this morning she pooped that big runny poop. Sorry I know this is really discusting... She slept vertically on the cage so she has poop on her butt also. I've never had this problem with Skittles (my other bird) I didn't know who else to ask about this. My other bird has been in a different room since I brought the new girl home, just in case she is sick. I know this has nothing to do with hermit crabs and I'm so sorry about it, but I didn't know who else to ask about this.ImageImageImage

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

DevilNDisguise

Re: Parakeet #2

Post by DevilNDisguise » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Diarrhea in birds can be from a number of things, from different types of infections to changes in its diet. There are a lot of potential causes, and it doesn't always mean it's something bad. If it isn't anything to worry about then it'll most likely clear up within a day or so.

Are there any other symptoms, like lethargy, odd behavior, ruffled feathers, not eating, attempting to regurgitate, etc.?

If it persists for a few days and you notice any of those symptoms or other negative symptoms, it might be worth bringing your birdie to the vet.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:48 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote:Diarrhea in birds can be from a number of things, from different types of infections to changes in its diet. There are a lot of potential causes, and it doesn't always mean it's something bad. If it isn't anything to worry about then it'll most likely clear up within a day or so.

Are there any other symptoms, like lethargy, odd behavior, ruffled feathers, not eating, attempting to regurgitate, etc.?

If it persists for a few days and you notice any of those symptoms or other negative symptoms, it might be worth bringing your birdie to the vet.
Thank you for your reply! I haven't noticed any odd behavior from her, but I've not even had her for a full day so I'm not certain what her normal behavior is...but she seems ok to me. I noticed that she was indeed eating today, so at least she knows where the food is located in her cage. She has been singing to my male parakeet that is located in the other room, so hopefully that is a sign that she is feeling well.Image

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:57 pm

I do wonder if its the transition to a new location that could be causing issues? My budgies use to get the runs when they were first brought/introduced.

Sorry I cant help further! If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out budgie forums, where you may get further responces from the 'bird brain' group. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:08 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I do wonder if its the transition to a new location that could be causing issues? My budgies use to get the runs when they were first brought/introduced.

Sorry I cant help further! If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out budgie forums, where you may get further responces from the 'bird brain' group. :)

Ok thank you very much!Image I will try and update you all tomorrow!Image

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:12 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Thank you for your reply! I haven't noticed any odd behavior from her, but I've not even had her for a full day so I'm not certain what her normal behavior is...but she seems ok to me. I noticed that she was indeed eating today, so at least she knows where the food is located in her cage. She has been singing to my male parakeet that is located in the other room, so hopefully that is a sign that she is feeling well.Image

Good! It probably really is nothing. If she's acting normal and her eating habits are good, she's lively, and not all fluffed up, everything should be fine. :) I know for other animals it can also simply be nerves, too.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:01 pm

OK so here is an update on the new little lady(she still doesn't have a name yet...Image), her poop is looking a little better now. She is still just as lively as ever, and this is going to sound really weird considering that parakeets are usually very timid...she will chew on the cage all day unit I let her out to play. She has been eating more now that I let her out and scattered food on my carpet for her. She is very young so I'm thinking she was probably taken from her mother to soon to be sold to the pet store. I hope she gets 100% well again because she is so sweet, and is already bonding with me the 3rd day I've had her.ImageImageImage

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:50 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:01 pm
OK so here is an update on the new little lady(she still doesn't have a name yet...Image), her poop is looking a little better now. She is still just as lively as ever, and this is going to sound really weird considering that parakeets are usually very timid...she will chew on the cage all day unit I let her out to play. She has been eating more now that I let her out and scattered food on my carpet for her. She is very young so I'm thinking she was probably taken from her mother to soon to be sold to the pet store. I hope she gets 100% well again because she is so sweet, and is already bonding with me the 3rd day I've had her.ImageImageImage

She is beautiful! I love birds. I just got my first hand-tamed budgie recently, and he/she (too young to tell right now) is so sassy, yet so sweet!
They were one of three babies of the pair that my mother has.

I never knew how great budgies could be once they're no longer afraid of you.

I'm glad your new girl is feeling and doing better. :)

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:06 pm

DevilNDisguise wrote: She is beautiful! I love birds. I just got my first hand-tamed budgie recently, and he/she (too young to tell right now) is so sassy, yet so sweet!
They were one of three babies of the pair that my mother has.

I never knew how great budgies could be once they're no longer afraid of you.

I'm glad your new girl is feeling and doing better. :)
Thank you very much! I hope she will be 100% healthy soon!Image

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:48 pm

Glad to hear she is going ok. Very lovely bird!

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:49 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Glad to hear she is going ok. Very lovely bird!

Thank you! I need to take some better pictures soon!ImageImage

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:27 pm

Awe! She is soo cute! She reminds me of one I had when I was little. Her name was Silver, she was all white with a blue spot on her back, under her wings. I want to get one now! Lol!

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:51 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:Awe! She is soo cute! She reminds me of one I had when I was little. Her name was Silver, she was all white with a blue spot on her back, under her wings. I want to get one now! Lol!
Thank you! Now I just need to pick out a name for my girl...ImageImage

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 am

Here is a better picture of the little girl.ImageImage

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:26 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:52 am
Here is a better picture of the little girl.ImageImage

Pretty girl! 😍