Aggressive Crab

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Heyheyhey!

Aggressive Crab

Post by Heyheyhey! » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Hey crab peeps!

I recently took in 3 crabs. 1 small E and 2 med E
After having them in iso, I noticed 1 of the med E's would sometimes almost chase the small crab. I thought perhaps it was just a fluke and once he had a chance to eat good food and change shells then he would calm down. As soon I put them in iso they all went straight for the shells and changed shells. Then they all ran for the salt water. Things seemed to settle down and I thought I was at a point to add them to the main tank. Wrong!

I have 2 PP up in the main tank and one down. Its a 90 gallon tank with plenty of shells, food and water. Everything seemed fine till I checked back in on them. My med PP was naked and clinging to a vine! The bully E was beside the pp's empty shell. Then I caught the bully "chasing" the little one.

I took my poor naked PP and put in a dish with his old shell and 2 others. Within a few mins he was back in his pants and seemed to be ok.
I have never had an aggressive crab before. I always make sure to feed a protein at every feeding and keep lots of extra shells.
Any advice? Should he be kept by himself?

avocadocrabbies

Re: Aggressive Crab

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:09 pm

hey! I'm new to the forum but not so new to crabbies. Never had an agressive one like that guy, though. It's been a couple months, has it happened again/have you found a solution?
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:52 pm

From what I've read on here E's need twice as much protein daily and deeper sub. Like 10,11 inches. And they don't like crowding.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

BugsSnow&Milly

Post by BugsSnow&Milly » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:44 pm

I just put a new crab into my large crabitat after iso, with good signs of eating and a shell change. Even after bathing in the tank water, within their first encounter, my new crab Milly charged my old resident Bugs. If freaked me out after Bugs was cornered, so I gently encouraged Milly back into a hut... Now I’m freaked to sleep because after my other resident Snow first came in the tank a couple years ago, he killed for a shell. Did your crabs do that again??
Kind regards,
Bugs, Snow, Milly, & Mom ❤️

BugsSnow&Milly

Post by BugsSnow&Milly » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:38 pm

Update, I dunked all the crabs as they came up from slumber in freshwater and they’re even sleeping together now!
Kind regards,
Bugs, Snow, Milly, & Mom ❤️

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 am

Yay, that’s great news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk