Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Xack

Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Post by Xack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Mixture of 5 parts playsand to 1 part cocofiber, 6 inches deep across

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Gauge is located in the middle, close to substrate. Usually reads 75-85F temp and 75-90% humidity.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Red infrared floodlight

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
One fresh and one saltwater pool, currently in the process of changing the products I use to treat them to remove all the bad stuff and add everything they need. My emergency I believe is unrelated to this and unfortunately I had to make another emergency post a few days ago so I was corrected on the things I was doing wrong related to water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Mixture of dried foods and cuddle bone, occasionally fresh fruit and fish. Changed every few days unless there is fresh, then it's the day after.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I would estimate about 2-2.5 months. I'm not sure about the species, after his last molt he was very bright red/orange.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
He molted 1-19-20, a few days ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
30 gallon glass, grated lid sealed with tinfoil.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
18- 6 micro, 10 teeny, 2 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3-4 per crab, should be more, some aren't the correct type of shell for the species but I have more on the way.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean unless the sub needs to be changed out for some reason like a flood.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
This morning I woke up to a naked crab missing all limbs except for one leg and his tiny claw. I had recently made a post related to surface molters, which he was one of them. I am almost positive that he was attacked by other crabs when that happened as that is when his limbs went missing, they were also all crushed up in some areas like another crab had a hold of them. So I have already helped him back into a shell and placed him in a smaller tank within the main tank. I gave him water and some extra shells in there too. I have already hand fed him with a Q tip as well and he has been able to get water on his own. I am mainly just wondering what I should feed him from here on out, how often, and what other things I can do to help him hopefully recover or at least make his little life easier. It is just so hard and sad to watch him struggle to get around, he just looks miserable. On top of that I have already been feeling like a bad crab parent and that it is all my fault, so I would just like any suggestions to what I can/should do for him. Please let me know if there are any other details I may have left out or other information that will help, my head is a little in the clouds and I scrambled to get this filled out. I've made some mistakes and am trying to fix all of them and hopefully only progress from here. Thank you

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Shell evac from a almost limbless crab

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am

It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Definitely feed him or her calcium rich foods. I you want to make it easier for him to move around you can use a soda bottle cap that has been cleaned with warm water and white vinegar and make little hermit crab wheel chair. Oh and try to give him foods that are filled with a bunch of vitamins and minerals.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 am

It looks like this! I forgot you need craft mesh to make this work sorry! Image

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:47 am

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 am
It looks like this! I forgot you need craft mesh to make this work sorry! Image

Thank you so much! I was wondering what exactly you meant, I couldn't figure it out lol. I do have plenty of craft mesh actually so I am definitely going to have to try this for the poor little guy! I greatly appreciate it

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 pm

Xack wrote: Thank you so much! I was wondering what exactly you meant, I couldn't figure it out lol. I do have plenty of craft mesh actually so I am definitely going to have to try this for the poor little guy! I greatly appreciate it
You're welcome! And please check out Motor crab on YouTube. Motor crab is the person who I think came up with the hermit crab wheelchair. I hope it works well!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:26 pm

Motor crab also fed a crab who had dropped it's limbs, if you search you should be able to find the thread.

Are all of your surviving surface molters now isolated from the other crabs?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:26 pm
Motor crab also fed a crab who had dropped it's limbs, if you search you should be able to find the thread.

Are all of your surviving surface molters now isolated from the other crabs?
Yes all the others are in a separate iso tank as well. I just got done hand feeding with a Q-tip again and he ate a pretty good amount. He is clearly terrified though and at first just kept pinching the Q-tip, but he came along. I placed him back in his iso with the Q-tip in front of him just in case he felt better eating on his own. I had crushed up some cuddle bone for him earlier too, not sure if he has helped himself to that yet though. I just want to gain his trust fully so it will be easier for both of us, it will take some time though.

Oh and I did find Motor crab on youtube and checked out some of his videos, especially the wheelchair and hand feeding that he did.

Thank you guys again for all the great info and help! It will be a long road to recovery but I am confident in this crab and I think he can do it, just of course with a little help.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm

Xack wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:15 am
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Mixture of 5 parts playsand to 1 part cocofiber, 6 inches deep across

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Gauge is located in the middle, close to substrate. Usually reads 75-85F temp and 75-90% humidity.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Red infrared floodlight

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
One fresh and one saltwater pool, currently in the process of changing the products I use to treat them to remove all the bad stuff and add everything they need. My emergency I believe is unrelated to this and unfortunately I had to make another emergency post a few days ago so I was corrected on the things I was doing wrong related to water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Mixture of dried foods and cuddle bone, occasionally fresh fruit and fish. Changed every few days unless there is fresh, then it's the day after.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I would estimate about 2-2.5 months. I'm not sure about the species, after his last molt he was very bright red/orange.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
He molted 1-19-20, a few days ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
30 gallon glass, grated lid sealed with tinfoil.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
18- 6 micro, 10 teeny, 2 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
3-4 per crab, should be more, some aren't the correct type of shell for the species but I have more on the way.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean unless the sub needs to be changed out for some reason like a flood.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
This morning I woke up to a naked crab missing all limbs except for one leg and his tiny claw. I had recently made a post related to surface molters, which he was one of them. I am almost positive that he was attacked by other crabs when that happened as that is when his limbs went missing, they were also all crushed up in some areas like another crab had a hold of them. So I have already helped him back into a shell and placed him in a smaller tank within the main tank. I gave him water and some extra shells in there too. I have already hand fed him with a Q tip as well and he has been able to get water on his own. I am mainly just wondering what I should feed him from here on out, how often, and what other things I can do to help him hopefully recover or at least make his little life easier. It is just so hard and sad to watch him struggle to get around, he just looks miserable. On top of that I have already been feeling like a bad crab parent and that it is all my fault, so I would just like any suggestions to what I can/should do for him. Please let me know if there are any other details I may have left out or other information that will help, my head is a little in the clouds and I scrambled to get this filled out. I've made some mistakes and am trying to fix all of them and hopefully only progress from here. Thank you

My heart goes out to you and your little hermie! He seems strong; I think he'll pull through! Do update when you can, possibly add a picture. He sounds like a sweet boy. Make sure to dip him in water before returning him to the regular tank, which I would assume not for a while, just because he doesn't seem like he can fend for himself right now. He just needs some tender love and care! This is your chance to bond with him! You're doing awesome! Good luck! :comfort: :sad:: :luck::
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 am

Crabby7Crabber wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:44 pm
My heart goes out to you and your little hermie! He seems strong; I think he'll pull through! Do update when you can, possibly add a picture. He sounds like a sweet boy. Make sure to dip him in water before returning him to the regular tank, which I would assume not for a while, just because he doesn't seem like he can fend for himself right now. He just needs some tender love and care! This is your chance to bond with him! You're doing awesome! Good luck! :comfort: :sad:: :luck::
It means a lot, honestly! Just tried to feed him one more time before bed, didn't really want to come out. I'm sure as time goes on though he will become more confident once he realizes he is in good hands. He hasn't tried to move since I re-shelled him, it took awhile to get him out enough to hand feed him earlier, but he did eat thankfully. Will monitor throughout the night and hopefully see some progress in the morning or throughout the day. I will leave him for now with fresh and salt water that he can access, as well as some honey, and crushed up cuddlebone and dried shrimp. I will certainly keep updating here or if there is somewhere else I should make a post for updates do let me know please. Once again I can't thank everyone enough for all the help, if anythings more comes to mind please let me know; I am trying everything I can for this crab and am willing to put in the effort and time for him.

#PrayforTiny :love::

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 am

I am so sorry for what happened to your crabby, you seem like your doing all you can for him at this point. You have 18 crabs in a 30 gallon tank? Your attack could have been because it is a little overpopulated. With your size of crabs, micro, tiny, and small, I still think you need to be at least 3 gallons per micro and tiny crabs and 5 gallons per crab for the bigger ones, they grow very quickly so the larger tank, the better. I think a 40 or 55 gallon would even be a little more comfortable for them or split them into another tank the same size you have. We’re sending you healing crabby vibes and prayers for your sweet little baby. I hope he pulls through for you. <3

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:33 am

I hope with the q tip feeding multiple times a day with protein, calcium, and honey your crab should be fine. If he's in an iso he should molt soon and regrow the limbs.
It will take a lot of time, but with the appropriate amount of sub the crab could be another example of a success story.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:47 am

Xack wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:26 am
It means a lot, honestly! Just tried to feed him one more time before bed, didn't really want to come out. I'm sure as time goes on though he will become more confident once he realizes he is in good hands. He hasn't tried to move since I re-shelled him, it took awhile to get him out enough to hand feed him earlier, but he did eat thankfully. Will monitor throughout the night and hopefully see some progress in the morning or throughout the day. I will leave him for now with fresh and salt water that he can access, as well as some honey, and crushed up cuddlebone and dried shrimp. I will certainly keep updating here or if there is somewhere else I should make a post for updates do let me know please. Once again I can't thank everyone enough for all the help, if anythings more comes to mind please let me know; I am trying everything I can for this crab and am willing to put in the effort and time for him.

#PrayforTiny :love::
Aw... my heart aches. I hope he pulls through :love::
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:50 am

Maddamay32 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:33 am
I hope with the q tip feeding multiple times a day with protein, calcium, and honey your crab should be fine. If he's in an iso he should molt soon and regrow the limbs.
It will take a lot of time, but with the appropriate amount of sub the crab could be another example of a success story.

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
I sure hope so, thank you. It's only the first day but I have started documenting and writing down what I did and will do from day to day. After reading the examples of other crabs attacked, it really inspires me to make him one of those examples. I am glad I have finally made an account on here after all the information I have got from it, just unfortunately it took something like these events for me to. I am so thankful (as I've mentioned before muuuultiple times) for this great community and all the help it has and will bring me. Everyone's prayers and thoughts will be sent to Tiny one way or another!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 am

T-terrific
I-inspiring
N-Never gives up
Y-You know how awesome and brave a crab he is
Let's go Tiny!! :cheer:
Edit:spelling
Last edited by Crabby7Crabber on Sun May 17, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Xack

Post by Xack » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm

Making some progress today, he starting walking around a little while we were asleep. I placed him on his food dish and watched him munch away, and then slowly walk over to his water and fill up. Keep in mind not once did he make an effort to move yesterday; so either he has gotten more comfortable, got some strength back, or both! He still gets a little scared when I walk up to his tank, but also comes out more to see whats going on especially when I pick him up.