Which crabs to move into upgrade

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Which crabs to move into upgrade

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:53 am

I've asked this before but didn't really get an answer that related to my question. I have 8 crabs (if all are alive, I know 6 are) in a 90gal. Ranging from small to either a large/medium or a small/large. It's not easy to measure them.
I also have a 40gb with 6 (if all alive) ranging from small to medium. And an empty 75gal.
I felt like the larger ones in the 40 were getting too big for 6 crabs in there and I was just going to transfer them all to the 75. But in actuallity, the large ones in the 90 with 8? in there and them continuing to grow I'm sure, are larger than the ones in the 40. So now I'm thinking of taking the largest from the 90, and maybe 3 smaller ones from both tanks and moving them into the 75. Then the 3? that's left in the 40, move them into the 90. So I think that will leave me with 8 smaller sizes in the 90 and 6 in the 75. With at least 2 being on the larger side.
The goal is to not have 3 tanks. I want the minimum amount of tanks. HOWEVER, my real question is, breaking up an established colony. In the 90 they all seem to get along. I don't want to break up buddies. Would that really be a problem for them? Would they miss their friends? And I know there is a bit of a bully in the 40. I'm not really sure who he is since I see his antics in black/white on the night camera.
I pretty much have everything I need to set up the 75, except for the substrate. I don't have any help here any more for lifting the bags of sand.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Maddamay32

Re: Which crabs to move into upgrade

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

I wouldn't think they would mind. Or if they did, they would eventually adapt and make new friends right? Just like when we move. You definitely should consolidate down to two tanks, three sounds like a pain.

I understand your troubles with night vision cameras, I would like to know which crab is always pushing the other ones out of the food dish

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Which crabs to move into upgrade

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm
I wouldn't think they would mind. Or if they did, they would eventually adapt and make new friends right? Just like when we move. You definitely should consolidate down to two tanks, three sounds like a pain.

I understand your troubles with night vision cameras, I would like to know which crab is always pushing the other ones out of the food dish Image

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
Thanks. And I guess considering in the wild they walk for miles, they must get separated from their friends. Even 2 tanks is a pain. Dream...200 gal or larger tank, 1 colony. And room to add more of course. :crabbigsmile: :D
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi