Saltwater or freshwater misting?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
AlliCrabbi

Saltwater or freshwater misting?

Post by AlliCrabbi » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:46 am

Pretty simple question: I've been misting my tank with freshwater for a while without thinking about it, but I realized that misting with saltwater might replicate their natural conditions better. Hermies seem fine as of now, but still. Maybe I should alternate? What do you guys think?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Saltwater or freshwater misting?

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:53 am

Salt should be used carefully. It never leaves once it is added, so it can accumulate over time to unsafe levels. If you were to deep clean regularly it wouldn't likely be an issue, but if you are doing the bioactive never-change-the-substrate thing, then you could be looking at issues with too much salinity in the substrate at some point. Some salt is fine, and I personally prefer it for mold and mildew control.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
AlliCrabbi

Post by AlliCrabbi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 am

Ah, good to know! I'll just stick to my freshwater misting routine.
Incidentally; I did install a couple of bubblers in the crabs freshwater and saltwater pools yesterday, just to try to encourage them to use the pools. But since it's increasing humidity, would the bubbler in the saltwater pool create an unsafe level of salinity in the enclosure?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 am

In theory it can, if it really splatters. People have had issues with salt crusting on surrounding decor, walls and substrate from strong bubbling. It tends to stay localized if you don't mix it in, so that spot can always be scooped away and replaced if it gets bad!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
AlliCrabbi

Post by AlliCrabbi » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks much! I'll make sure to keep an eye out for crusting. It's not a strong current so huge splatters shouldn't be a problem. That's all ^^